OT: Gas supplier using wrong switching readings

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 11:32:24 +0100, Tufnell Park

Excellent thanks.

Wierd since they both wanted readings on the switch date and I sent them a date stamped photo.

Well no because at some time my new supplier will end up with an actual reading adding 200 cu ft of gas to their charge unless the old supplier clears up the switch reading.
--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL wrote:

So you've given them an "invented reading" based on the old supplier's change-over reading plus the difference between a recent meter reading and the final reading which you supplied?
If so, I'd say be careful doing that sort of thing, it could be interpreted as fraudulent.

Why? I'm paying the new supplier exactly what I am using with them.
--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL wrote:

Because they're not asking how much you've used, they're asking what total the meter shows ...
On 01/08/2018 08:51, AnthonyL wrote:

If you manage to sort it out with your old supplier, you're then going to have a problem persuading the new supplier to change all their figures.
If you do nothing, they're going to hit you with a big bill when you leave them and have to catch up with the real reading.
I'd be tempted to bring the new company up to the real figure - even if you add on a bit each month rather than in one jump.
If, down the line, the first company come after you, refer them to the figure that they and the new company have used as an ending/starting figure (what proof have they got that the original figure you gave wasn't in error?) If they persist, ask them to sort it out directly with the new company as they passed on the wrong figure.
If it all becomes difficult, refer them to Ofgem. Years ago, when we got married, my wife left her flat. Due to an error on the part of British Gas/Transco, it turned out that they'd not taken a direct debit for 18 months and she received a large bill! She spoke to BG and then to Ofgem and her bill was reduced to £85. She paid by cheque and they managed to mess that up and key in £8.50, so they started chasing her for the rest. When I called them and went through what had happened and the latest cock-up, they cancelled the rest of the bill and sent her a bunch of flowers!
SteveW
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 20:56:40 +0100, Steve Walker

They've both got the same date stamped photo.
How are they going to know what the reading was if they send a meter reading man round 3 months after the switch?

All far too complicated.
--
AnthonyL

They are just sending him round to check that the reading you posted the photo of isn't fakes. In other words that the reading he sees in person is higher by your normal consumption than the reading shown in the photo.

On 02/08/2018 19:56, Jock Green wrote:

Not really, i have changed supplier many times and they have never used my readings nor have they sent anyone out to read the meter, the old supplier usually gives the new one a 'deemed reading' which they then both use as the changeover reading. Crazy but that is the system.
IIMSS you have complicated the issue by giving an invented reading, most energy customers ignore reading requests and the system is designed to cater for this by estimated or deemed readings.
Simples......
On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 09:19:50 +0100, Tufnell Park

Indeed it would be if both suppliers hadn't specifically asked for readings.
Weird....
--
AnthonyL

Well your meter reading will obviously be on a specific day which may not be the actual change over day, so they estimate usage from reading day to changeover day. If you've given a meter reading then the deemed reading should be very close and critically should be used by both suppliers. Ofgem can be your friend - if you speak nicely to them:-).

--
bert

It was on the eve of the changeover day.

Yes it should - there is no evidence that that is going to be the case.

Why should I have the hassle?
--
AnthonyL

Somewhere in the depths of their website it will explain the rules for calculating the final meter reading to be used by the two suppliers involved. They are complicated. Probably designed to prevent arguments of cheating by any party. I've changed a few times, have only ever notified one supplier of meter readings and always found the two used the numbers.
--
bert

Bit silly when the customer needs to provide the figures for billing.

You've been lucky as I also had a dispute on the electricity switch last year.
Earlier in the week the outgoing supplier has sent me the final bill using my figure. The incoming supplier is still using the lower figure initially estimated by the outgoing supplier so as I expected unless I take action I will billed for the same units twice. I have removed my "usage" reading from the new supplier so they now only have that incorrect opening reading.
I emailed/on-lined messaged both suppliers asking when their figures would be sync'd and neither have responded.
Tomorrow I will send the same email to both suppliers stating:
i) My direct debit to the outgoing supplier will be stopped
ii) That only usage readings will be paid to the new supplier (I can't stop the payment authority as that also covers my electricity).
iii) If they dont' resolve the issue by the end of the month the email and issue will be referred to OFGEM.
I don't know, and it isn't my responsibility to know, who is responsible for the discrepancy.
All that is needed is for both suppliers to use the figure I gave them and which the outgoing supplier is now using for the final bill. It's not rocket science.
--
AnthonyL

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:33:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@please.invalid (AnthonyL) wrote:

And a final f/up for anyone still watching this thread, after raising a formal complaint yesterday all parties are now using my final reading this morning but no-one can say where the problem arose.
Phew! Switching is easy and convenient ..... NOT.
--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL wrote:

Just had the final bill through from my previous supplier, for electricity both suppliers used the value I sent to the new supplier on the changeover date and the old supplier marked it as an "Actual" reading.
For gas, the new supplier used my value, the old supplier used my value minus 1kWh and marked it as an "Estimated" reading.

Sssshhhh. You're in front, for the time being.
--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL wrote:

I'll put thruppence on the side ready for when they send the heavies round.