Crap headlights on the new van

68 Peugeot Expert.

Main beams are fine but the headlights are just shit.

On unlit roads when a car comes the other way and just using I lose sight of the road.

Fucking useless H4 lamps?

So swap the lamps for a different brand that claims to be better?

The 10 and 14 plate Scudos had no problem with H4 lamps.

It's the worst performance of a headlight since I owned a 1977 MK2 Escort.

Reply to
ARW

Must just be a shit design or poor reflectors, our V50 is the same, I consider it dangerous.

Reply to
R D S

Much the same on my 65 Peugeot Partner. FWIW.

Reply to
RJH

Worst we’ve come across were on a hired Vaxhaul Mokka. So bad we stopped driving at night to see what was wrong with them.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

1968 no wonder it will have sealed beams
Reply to
Jim gm4dhj ...

Don't buy a Jaguar XF. The main beams are just about acceptable., but the weak dipped beans and low driving position coupled to the fact that the car is a foot wider than anybody expects make dark country roads stressful

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What never dried a 2CV, you had to crank those as you put more people in the so called back seat. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ta. When cars are not coming the other way the light on the road is acceptable

I am going to buy some Osram Night Breakers and give them a try (well book them out on the works account)

Reply to
ARW

I see from the specs that it has height-adjustable headlights. Is it possible they are faulty, or perhaps someone before you set them for a very heavy load in the back and didn't reset them when the load was removed? Without a load they'd be illuminating an area much closer to the front of the van.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Yes, I've faffed about with that, without success. Even with the lights 'up' the light is still poor - and (of course) annoys oncoming traffic.

Reply to
RJH

Worth a go at £20 - I'll be interested to hear how you get on . . .

Reply to
RJH

If you are over 50, your eyes will start to fail to respond after being briefly dazzled. Old age sucks, and then you die.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It certainly does and you will.

Mate of mine was 60 in November, that's not old.

On Tuesday he was at work. On Friday he was diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread to his heart, liver and kidneys.

Reply to
ARW

Mate of mine 72 or thereabouts, non smoker, non drinker, never took drugs not overweight has a massive stroke and dies.

Another phones me up and says he may need to go into hospital, then he phoned me up saying he only had six months to live, then he phoned me up and said 2 weeks, and 3 days later he died of metastasised bowel cancer.

Have a friend dying of motor neurone disease, think Stephen Hawkins, can't eat can't talk, needs a suction pump to cough. All in under a year from being fine.

Its really rather depressing

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When all cars had H4, they were OK. Now all are LED, they're not. As your eyes adjust to the brightness of oncoming traffic.

You can get LED replacement bulbs for H4. Depending on the headlight design, they might just give a decent beam pattern, and not dazzle others.

My car has bullseye headlights, and they give a good beam pattern independent of bulb types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Or funny

ARW

If that comes as a surprise to you then count yourself lucky. The distribution of deaths means the odds are we all end up knowing people who get nowhere near "life expectancy".

And for the younger folk, bear in mind male life expectancy is around

80 but the last 16 of those will on average be in "not good" health.
Reply to
Robin

So living with (reasonably) good health, and then going downhill fairly rapidly (like some of the cases mentioned above) is a pretty good outcome.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Personally I'd prefer to just not wake up.

Not clear how that feels for those that get that brilliant result.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Although AIUI LED replacements for H4 are still not legal.

Reply to
Robin