Crap headlights on the new van

the 5 friends I went to school with have all died aged 21,30,41.64,72 bike crash,diabetic coma,ruptured aorta, hart attack and cancer ;(

Reply to
Mark

It's very variable. My wife has known a number of friends who have died or who are terminally ill. Her parents both died of cancer 22 and 16 years ago.

I'm 56 and the only friend that has died killed himself due to psychosis. My own parents are both fairly fit and well, in their 80s.

Reply to
SteveW

Morbid I know but dying relatively quickly sounds infinitely preferable to dragging on and on as a semi vegetable.

Reply to
John J

Since so many brand new vehicles cause severe dazzle, I don't really give a shit for such regs. I'll make my own mind up about whether they work well in my car. It's hardly rocket science.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'll make my own mind up about whether they work

Rockets have little impact on the everyday road user (unless you live in Ukraine).

Should we all get to pick and choose which rules, laws, and regulations we want to observe? Good question.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I suspect it is very rare for the point to be taken but I thought Adam ought to be aware as it's a work van and the firm's insurance etc.

Reply to
Robin

****!

Do you have a source for that? Because I might need to accelerate my retirement travel plans... Poor health on average from age 64 seems rather young.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I've got to 82. A minor scare last year was being told I had Diabetes 2, but a change of diet meant that by Christmas it had gone. And, I lost 4" round my waist - expensive on new trousers.

Reply to
charles

Bear in mind though that the averages mask well-known differences by, for example, income and education. I suspect uk.d-i-y is likely above average on those counts. OTOH I've no idea if ownership of angle grinders correlates with earlier death or disability.

Reply to
Robin

I'd hazard a guess ownership of large circular saws has a greater effect than angle grinders. Possibly biassed towards disability?

Reply to
John J

Absolutely - and the life expectancy and good health figures have taken a marked downturn for poorer folk in the past few post-Covid years.

Quite possibly! Exposure to dust as well I'd have thought - although DIY is nothing like occupation-related exposure.

Reply to
RJH

I was spot on that point. Several of my contemporaries died at that point. Its luck of the draw and lifestyle.

Ive got no less than 9 diagnosed conditions that affect me, but none have killed me yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you for that.

At my age I can expect good health for more than half my remaining years. Especially, perhaps, as I own neither an angle grinder nor a circular saw!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Depends whether your circular saw has one of those "tested on Frankfurter sausages" sensors which retracts the blade if a finger (or Frankfurter!) touches the saw teeth.

Reply to
NY

or weiner

(sorry I have watched American Pie too many times!)

Reply to
SH

If your over 50 its a very good thing to have ye long silver snake up the arse, that can catch bowel cancer it in its tracks, and cancerous polyps they find snip and their out and threat over!

Quite painless and you can have a guided view of your guts whilst its done only problem is clearing it out first but thats like having the runs for around half a day and being careful of what you eat but as said anyone of 50 or thereabouts well worth doing!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ah - the joys of Moviprep! Set aside 12 hours or so and remain in close proximity to the toilet. (You may be able to leave it for very brief periods a few minutes at a time).

Reply to
John J

Too much detail over my early morning coffee.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The endoscopy isn't necessary unless there is a reason to do it. The usual reason is blood detection on screening. Within a couple of years screening will be universal for those aged 50 - 74. It's been lowered from 60 - 74.

Jeff Layman

and the new kit is much easier to use than the earlier ones.

Reply to
Bev