OT the headline writers simply gert worse every year

Plus both Severn Bridges.

Incidently, the toll on these bridges make the Dartford crossing sound like a bargain.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I'm sort of surprised that they didn't close the bridge - since no-one could pay & they didn't want to give it away.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Indeed. When was doing a regular commute between London and Carmarthen, I used to go via Oxford, Gloucester and Brecon along the A40 going home, dodging the toll and using an extra fiver's worth of fuel, then back along the motorway, using the free direction on the bridge.

Reply to
John Williamson

And they're all bargains compared to the M6 Toll. At least on the first, last and only occasion I used it, towing my race car on a trailer, and got charged for 2 cars and a trailer. £11. Fuck that noise.

Reply to
Huge

On Friday 08 March 2013 06:27 John Williamson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Feck! £6.20 for a car??..

Reply to
Tim Watts

Was this a result of their automatic system, or a genuine charge?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The former. It was about 5:30AM so there was no-one at the toll booth.

Not that it matters, I'll not be using it again.

Reply to
Huge

Shortly after taking up my current sales manager job I queried one salesman's unusually high mileage for a particular trip. It turned out that he had a fear of crossing bridges and always went the long way round the M25!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

there are plenty of bridges the other way round, but perhaps not quite so obvious. I wonder how he'd have coped with the M6.

Reply to
charles

so how did he cross the river at Staines (upon Thames) then?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Most of those sort of bridges you don't really notice. The Dartford crossing one, you do. It looks quite intimidating approaching it. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the original toll had been increased only in line with inflation, it would now be...

£1.91
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Try Millau

djc

I'd like to!

I actually found one of the most disconcerting bridges to be Erskine - going south (IIRC). Not quite the picture in my head but not a bad illustration:

You feel as if you are on top of the bridge and could easily drive off.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

Well the Forth Bridge is now slowly falling down having exceed it's design lifetime so they're about to start all over again.

Reply to
bert

That really is a rip-off

Reply to
bert

Makes you wonder what idiot committee approved a 50 year life. Especially given the one it's next door to. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Looks nice.

Surely the worst bridge must be the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, on a boat:

ct.jpg

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And choose the 6th option down the list. I've stood at the end of it and did not really fancy the walk across.

Reply to
Bill

I remember doing that the early 60s, on foot, when there was (IIRC) no handrail to speak of, and the footway was rather dilapidated. Seriously scary.

Reply to
Mike Barnes