OT:The common sense of some people

But can you get "proof of posting" or "recorded delivery" ? Which I assume may be of importance to people selling stuff on eBay. And why in answer to your point they need to go to Post Offices.

michael adams

michael adams

I have an alarm set to tell me to use my printer once a fortnight - to prevent it drying. I'll usually remember if I've used it recently. But my Epson gives plenty warning of levels being low.

Mine has separate carts. But I just buy generic ones from Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've used secondhand Epson Photosomethings in the past using generic catridges to print very acceptable colour photographs. Although not light fast if exposed to sunlight for long periods. Unfortunately the heads on Epsons are inside the printer and after a lot of messing about with ammonia solutions I eventually gave up on both of them. The heads on HP printers are on the actual carts. There are franchised colour printers in big branches of Tesco on which you can print off photos, off of jpg's on camera cards or thumb drives. All the files on the drive need to be the same type otherwise the machine gets confused and won't work I've found.

Generic tri-colour carts for HP's can be very variable. Maybe because the heads are possibly now secondhand. The thing is you need a working colour cart for black to work. The fact that the colour output bears no relation to what its actually supposed to look like doesn't really matter for black to print. Although it would be nice if it did now and again, obviously.

michael adams

michael adams
[snip]

A man after my own heart. They do it because they are inexperienced, I reckon. You will see those regular travellers (like me) still seated and not caring to even gather their stuff together until there is just a few people at the barcode scanners.

In fact, having been a frequent flyer for many years, my policy is always to aim to be the LAST to board. In an ideal world, all the other sheep are already on the plane, stopped faffing putting their bags in the overhead lockers (something the British are known to take longer than, say, the Germans to do) and seated. I can then just walk to the gage, get scanned, walk direct to the plane and up the stairs (or down the bridge) and to my seat. Or only perhaps to my allocated seat, because if there are extra-legroom seats available then I'll ask the friendly attendent if it's ok to sit there. 80% of the time they say it's fine. And of course if you are last on and there's nobody in the over-wing exits....well, you know that one already, right?

Reply to
Kal Ico

As I said, the trick is not to let it dry out. Even if that means printing something for the sake of it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Yes but are these limits weight or size how the hell to you get a proper umbrella in an overhead locker. if going from London to manchester you gonna need it ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's a bit late now, as I junked them years go. Altough I've stll got a few small bottles of ammonia - they used to sell it in Do-It-All. Its handy for shifting heavy grease and as a potential solvent.

I used to regularly print small different coloured squares on the HP. But after getting whole rows of pink squares instead, I gave up on that one.

Anyway this question of being able to print out your own "Proof of Posting" on your own printer at home ? Any futher progress on that one ?

michael adams

michael adams

I dunno. I've sold lots of low value small things on Ebay and simply posted them in the box at the end of the road.

How many high value things would you post like this anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Mk II eyeball; the departure lounge had a good view of the gantry.

Reply to
Scion

Apparently you can get proof of posting on the Royal Mail "app". This will be confirmed, again on the app, the first time the item has been scanned in the system This only applies to 1st and 2nd class parcels, tracked 24 and 48, special delivery, and signed for. So you can also get signed for, which is probably the minimum Ebay or Paypal would accept in any case.

It probably depends on what category you sell things in. But as a seller unless you're particularly easy going, you'd probably only need to get ripped off a few times by scumbags claiming never to have recieved things to make it seem attractive.

michael adams

michael adams

It's a question of hassle. If I were selling loads of things every day a trip to the PO might be alright. But as it stands, the time etc wasted doing that would make it not worth selling low value items. So depends on how you value your time. Not had a problem with buyers saying something ain't arrived fraudulently. It's not something a buyer would get away with often anyway, before Ebay noticed they were doing it. So really not worth their while for low value goods.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News