Some people are so stupid

I got a call today with a complaint about a buzzing socket. It is at a house I rewired a few months ago so I went round and had a look (and listen).

Nothing, just silence. I told the owner that I could not hear anything and his reply was "Oh, it won't start buzzing until I plug my mobile phone charger into it".

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well that could be dirty contacts on the socket, or the phone charger.

If it doesn't buzz in another socket, well its the socket innit?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did he pay your bill?

tim

Reply to
tim....

Wait until someone fits a Texecom alarm panel with their wonderful bzzzzzzzzzz transformers.

Reply to
js.b1

Tottaly agree nowt' funnier than folk. Like the Doctor (yes doctor) who rang saying his alarm would not stop beeping even when it was turned off.He was so upset he had removed the fuse from the power supply and disconnected the battery before ringing . When arriving angry neighbours glaring and mummbling obscenities about bell going off outside for ages.

Upon inspection found smoke detector (fitted by them) above panel with flat battery. Dearest pp3 he had ever bought.

CJ

Reply to
cj

He did not. That means that I never need go back for any other snags he may have.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And your reply to *that* was?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was polite.

I called him a vagina.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Had he been trying to wind you up or was he a genuine dope? Did he come to understand that he was a fathead, or did he still think it was the socket's fault?

Reply to
Tim Streater

He is a genuine dope.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If it's any consolation I have had a long, and head banging discussion with an electrician.

I want a 4-pole rotary isolator installed for use with a standby generator, a 6kVA unit that I already own. He insists that such a device cannot be fitted because it is not "modern". He wants to fit an ATS at a cost of £800. I pointed out that this would be useless because the genny, although it is electric start, has no ATS input; it is a case of insert key and start.

He then claimed that a rotary isolator would "confuse old people" and that I should scrap a perfectly good generator and buy another one for £3000 that would be compatible with the ATS he wants to install.

Next thing he's claiming is that all sockets have to go low down on the wall because "that is the standard". He then got very confused when I asked him where he will put sockets in the kitchen and why I can't have a socket positioned conveniently for the table lamps. I also, tongue in cheek, asked him if a rotary isolator would "confuse old people" why he is discriminating against them by insisting that the sockets be placed so low that the arthritic cannot reach them? He's gone off to think. He may be some time.

I think the "old people" he is referring to are me and my wife BTW.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Huge

I have to ask. How old is the electrician? :-)

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

I am not an old person but I do like old electrics.

I remember very nice clunky ceramic rotary three-heat switches (off- low-med-hi) for water heaters.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think that your electrician has been messing with my server. This morning all the posts you made over the last week appeared!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Why are you still talking to the same electrician?

Today I found a borrowed neutral on a lighting circuit - live was wired in single sheathed red from the CU, neutral was borrowed from the nearby ring! I also have a second sheathed red that was connected to the adjacent neutral at the CU, and I'd rather assumed that it supplied the same light. Haven't found yet where it does go...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I must say I rather prefer domestic light switches here in the US to the UK, just because they make a "proper-sounding" thunk noise when you use them :-) We've got a few old-style fuse boxes and knife-switch disconnects on our property, too.

I love old electrics...

J.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I feel your pain - I have more unknown-but-wired light switches and live wires carrying power to places unknown at our place than I care to think about :-) (wiring in US houses is never planned - it just kind of evolves by itself. The older the house, the worse it is)

I did, however, finally work out the other day what the purpose of the fusebox above bath in our (unusued, for obvious reasons) spare bathroom was. Who the heck installs a fusebox above a bath? D'oh!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

My house in Menlo Park had some pre-war knob-and-tube wiring (think that's what it was called), and a number of old polarised two-pin sockets, too. I must say I found all that a mess in the US. A mixture of sockets, a mixture of voltages (my washer/dryer ran on 240). Reminded me of Britain in the 50s.

We've just put some of these in:

will be adding more. They don't quite thunk in the same way I remember as a child, but I'm told there was some amount of DC in the UK that wasn't all converted to AC until the 40s or so, and so the light switches really had to snap when you switched them top avoid arcing.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nice

So whats the plan - disconnect it to see what stops working?

Reply to
ARWadsworth