OT - Telephone headsets

Hi Folks Telephones don't seem to last very long over here - I'm thinking it may be down to juggling with the handset while trying to talk to clients and 'do things' on the computer.

So - wondering about phones that offer a normal handset, plus the ability to plug in a 'headset' and leave both hands free, with caller display....

Anybody out there got any recommendations?

From searching on the web, there seems to be a selection of 'headset-only' boxes, but can't find the dual-option thing...

If you have a 'headset-only' box, can it simply connect in parallel on the phone line, and allow you to start a call on the 'normal' phone and then 'pick up' on the headset to continue the call ?

Online supplier who ships to Ireland would be good!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

There are a number of DECT handsets with a headset socket. Mine happens to be Siemens. However, the socket has recently developed an intermittent connection, which I haven't yet prised the phone apart to investigate.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If you want the ultimate (IMO) and make a lot of calls, then get a Plantronics DECT cordless headset.

They typically connect in-line with the coily cord from base to handset and have a mechanical "lifter" to take the phone off-hook. To take a call you just push the button on the earpiece, to make a call, you push the button (which lifts the handset) then dial on the phone as normal. You do need a desk phone that's mechanically compatable though. The base has a 4-way switch to cope with the various coily cord wiring (which bizarely isn't standard )-:

Expect to pay about £150 inc vat though...

I've bought a couple of these in the past for my customers:

Gordon Henderson

I expect it just looks like any other wired handset as far as the phone line is concerned so there shouldn't be any problem.

Switching between cordless handsets could be a different matter unless they have a call transfer or conference call feature.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Assuming you are just sitting and typing/mousing while talking then a corded headset on a phone with proper headset support works very well. If you need to move about more, then a DECT one may be better.

I quite like the BT branded SOHO range... not sure which model my one is, but it has headset button, speakerphone, integrated amplifier and volume control

Some look like a whole phone and sit on the line (sometimes between phone and line) others look just like a handset and connect between that and the phone (hence only work on phones with non captive handset leads)

CPC have loads of them...

Reply to
John Rumm

I have an Interquartz ... now at least 7 years old ... works with headset no probs ... on my domestic PSTN line.

Even better is to use a WifFi headset ... I use a Plantronics CS60, which has it's own stand (charger) which plugs into the phone ... they do adapter leads for all phones that accept headsets.

90% of my use is on an Avaya 9630 phone with a Plantronics CS60 baseunit (charger) and headset, but this is a phone that has a built in VPN, so connects back to my company iP switch, provides full facilities, transfer, conference, directory etc. .. and to anyone calling me don't know I'm not in the office, as I appear as normal office phone number ... which is 200 miles away
Reply to
Rick Hughes

I too have Siemens Gigaset but I wouldn't recommend them. The displays on both have each shifted sideways somewhat.

Reply to
hugh

You can still buy those curly leads and yes, these seem to have a high mortality these days.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

When I used to do telephone canvassing I made a support thingy that sat on my head and gaffataped the normal handset onto it, and a balancing weight over the opposite ear.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Dan used to know all this stuff..

distributor Nimans Product Plantronic

Google it. Something suitable there

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've had a Interquartz Gemini (I think that's the model - google seems to suggest images that look right :-)) on my desk for a few year, and a plantronics headset. Think that ticks all your boxes. If you want to spend a bit more then bluetooth capable setup is good - but charging can be a pain and they are a lot more $$$$

This is a phone, speaker phone, and headset capable

Check carefully - some are better than others at transfering from headset to normal phone etc. Also, we have some at work where you can't switch between speaker phone and headset without flicking a switch on the bottom of the phone - useless.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Hah, when all phones were BT issue there used to be a standard handset shape which you could buy a shoulder cradle for. Thoroughly bizarre, even then, given a set of headphones and a mike would have been so easy to add. I suppose most folk didn't want to delve into their phone (as it wasn't really theirs, at all).

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A BT Converse 1200 works for me. It's a corded phone with handsfree and amplifier. It has a headphone jack on the side. Only about £17 or so . You can get them from Amazon or BT or all over. I've had one for a few years with no problems.

Reply to
Bash

I have a BY Diverse 6210. Works well. It's a cordless phone and has a belt clip, so I can go where I like - within reason.

Reply to
charles