Blowing bulbs

Two bulbs (proper 60 watts on the same fitting) blew, 24 hours apart, and took out the mcb. It could be chance but what would be the most likely alternative? I'm sort of thinking knackered switch - is anything else likely?

Reply to
GMM

That they have both run a total of about 1000 hours would be the most likely ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Mains transients and/or infant mortality on the replacement bulb.

Were they spotlights or normal incandescents? I find a spotlight failure is more likely to bring down the lighting circuit rcd. I don't think I have ever seen it happen for a normal bulb blowing.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Are you saying a bulb blew and 24 hours later the replacement blew, or that two existing bulbs running from the same switch blew within 24 hours of one another?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Used to happen to me in our last house every time a bulb went.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Ooo, lots of things here. If both were of the same make then it might be coincidence, but there are far more mains spikes these days it seems. Inductive load being switched perhaps? Obviously if a switch is actually pulsing them on and off it will shorten life but I'd imagine the switch would die very soon, escpecially with them being made of naff plastic these days.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was going to suggest they were bith made by Tesla, whos bulbs blow short circuit most of the time. Dodgy bulbholders can overheat connections of course but then then normally arc and die open circuit.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

harryagain