Triple spotlight: bulbs blowing in one of the fittings

Most of my house is lit by ceiling-mounted triple spotlights which use 40W R50 bulbs. Recently, three bulbs in the same position in one particular fitting have blown within a short time of being fitted. One lasted about thirty minutes, one almost three hours, the third survived into the next day. I've checked as much of the unit as I could without wholesale disassembly and found nothing obviously wrong.

All three bulbs came from a DIY shed multi-pack. Though it seems unlikely, is it possible that there was something faulty about a whole batch of them? Failing that, what else could cause this problem?

Many thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to one and all.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I've had a similar problem with B&Q GU10 lamps, solved when I replaced them with some from TLC.

Reply to
David Lang

Dave, thanks for that. I've now put on my deerstalker, thought for a bit, and initiated an experiment: I put a bulb from another room into the suspect socket and the last remaining bulb from the possibly-dodgy batch in the fitting in the other room. Later, I'll leave both lights switched on and see what happens...

Incidentally the box of bulbs was from Homebase.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

It's either a dud batch, or there's something wrong with the connections or wiring on that individual socket, causing arcing and effectively turning the bulb on and off rapidly, reducing its life.

I think the first possibility (dud batch) is more likely, because you should other wise be able to see some evidence of burnt contacts or charred wires. You could check my hypothesis by swapping bulbs - putting a known good bulb in the 'suspect' socket, and putting another new one where that came from.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Very much so. Could be 'European' bulbs designed for a slightly lower voltage

Consider LED R50 spotlights instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the thought, though I'm not fond of LED lighting. Are the R50 ones dimmable?

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Roger, thanks for that. I would have noticed any rapid switching on and off, I think. And as you say, I didn't observe any signs of arcing.

Your post must have overlapped with my own follow-up, where I mentioned trying exactly the experiment you propose.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

You can buy dimmable ones. But then you might have to change your dimmer switch!

Reply to
ARW

If a dodgy connection rapid switching could be triggered by vibration of someone walking on the floor above.

Reply to
alan_m

Complications, complications... I think I'll try to sort out what I've got. Thanks!

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

If that's the cause, I have a whole new set of problems: I live in a bungalow.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

I've got those in my office. They never seem to last very long.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If it was B&Q, about par for the course. Bought some fittings from them and all the supplied bulbs blew in short order. Got replacements from TLC which have been fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'dbe tempted, when everything is cold and settled to move three from one light to another and put the remainder of the new ones in a second fitting. What should happen is that the ones from the new batch will all blow in the other fitting. That would mean its the batch which are faulty, if on the other hand the problem persists in the original fitting I'd get an exorcist in asap!

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

:-)

Reply to
David Lang

Brian,

I have tried something along those lines, albeit with one bulb rather than all three. Once it gets dark I'll switch on both fittings and see what happens.

If the suspect unit starts spinning around and vomiting, I'll consider getting supernatural help...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Probably not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bert Coules expressed precisely :

Numerous places mistakenly sell lamps intended for 230v, whereas what is needed for the UK is 240v lamps, which means they just don't last very long.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wondered if that could be it, but the blown bulbs were all clearly marked as 240V.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

An update: the lights were on for several hours last night, and were tried again this morning. Neither the new bulb (in a non-suspect fitting) nor an old and well-used bulb (in the possibly faulty fitting) have blown. Perhaps I was just unlucky in the three bulbs which only lasted very briefly.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules