US/UK telephone compatibility

Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg* American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged into her UK domestic telephone socket.
Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc. have not satisfied:-)
I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will be able to explain the problem.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

beg*
plugged
or
will
Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it isn't actually connected ?
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK use UK phone plugs?
Is there any plan to standardize on this throughout the universe?
--
Timothy Murphy

Yes.
Some places in the Middle East, Carribean, I believe

It's called an RJ-11

Given the plethora of mains plugs even in Europe, I doubt it.
--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

I imagine the EU will get round to those in time.
--
"If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ~ Albert Einstein
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
Timothy Murphy wrote:

No.
No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:43:04 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Bahrain, or they did at Gulf War I time.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Andy Hall wrote:

I stand by my statement ;-)

Well I suppose if you consider that Tel Aviv has a street named after General Allenby and New Zealand is like going back in time 13 hours and 30 years that's kind of true. Sheiks Khalifa and Mohanmmed are at least anglophiles. OK, I'll buy that.
said:

I saw a 15A 3 pin socket in Jerusalem once. Relic of the British Mandate I suppose.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

There are still a few around. They are the standard thing in South Africa and there are the 5A ones as well.

There are still a *lot* around. They're a standard used for stage lighting in theatres, even for new work. Normally single radial circuits from a dimmer pack.
--
Frank Erskine

On 2007-07-01 10:31:15 +0100, Frank Erskine

True. I was talking about Israel though.
The main standard there is something similar to the European Schuko connector.
Andy Hall wrote:

5A is a standard in the UK as well. All my lights run on them
said:

Andy,
Would you care to speculate whether or not phones from countries that use UK plugs are likely to have a similar electrical interface too? I would like to use something that works on the UK system in Cyprus and don't want to have a problem when I get there.
TIA
Bob
Bob Minchin wrote:

Almost certainly UK stuff will work.
On 2007-07-01 13:54:36 +0100, "Bob Minchin"

I don't take phones around any longer (at least not fixed line ones), but I have never run into electrical interface problems.
I used to carry a set of phone adaptors and a screwdriver so that come what may, I could get a connection unless the phone system was digital of some kind.
Tim Lamb wrote:

Should work if connected to the correct pins.