Using a US telephone in the UK

I have a telephone from the US which I'd like to use here.

I have tried it but get a lot of static on the line. As I understand it this *may* be because US telephones use a different capacitance than the UK system.

There seem to be some adapters on the market, but they seem oriented to modems and so I'm not sure if they will solve this particular problem.

Any advice?

FYI: some info on the issue:

one of the adapters that seems feasible:

Dave

> And one of the adapters that seems feasible:

If you are refering to a wired phone the impedance is often different, however this doesn't cause static. Also the person you are talking to may perceive that your voice is quiter than normal. Reception is normally OK.

However if the phone is cordless it is illegal to use in the UK as it uses a different radio frequency and may interfere with other legal users.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

> And one of the adapters that seems feasible:

try uk.telecom they will give chapter and verse on the issue....

Reply to
James Salisbury

are you talking about a corded or cordless phone?

The only difference you should get is that the volume may be somewhat lower. This has nothing to do with capacitance, impedance or inductance but simply the different signal levels used in the USA and UK. Phones are really very simple.

The US wiring is to the centre two pins, the UK to the outer two. The adapter you quote should be fine or you can change the plug.

Reply to
Peter Parry