Re: Buying a router in the UK - DeWalt DW621 vs...

I have to agree about the shank size. I don't know what is available were you are but I have a PC 690. It takes 1/2 and 1/4 inch shanks. It is also small and light enough to use with one hand.

he bit you want is only available in one shank size.
Reply to
CW

Matthew Whyte wrote:

snip

Why not have the option for 1/2" bits? Most US routers, the DW621 specifically, come with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I prefer 1/2" for all but the smaller diameter bits.

I've got two DW621s - one in my router table and one for hand helf work. The DW621 has several nice featrures - more than adequate horsepower - for the horsepower, it's pretty light - the plunge is easy and smooth - the dust/chips collection works well when connected to a shop vac or vacuum cleaner (next to jointers and planers the router generates the most chips and dust) - realtive to most routers, the DW621 is pretty quiet. Still wouldn't want to do any routing at midnight but it is quieter. - the controls on the handles takes a little getting use to but is nice after the short learning curve (Plunge lock is on one handle/ knob and the locking trigger is on the other handle/knob. No need to let go of a handle to turn the router on/off or to reach over with your thunb to lock the plunge. - the base has two flat sides, each a different distance from the center of the bit, and two rounded ends, again different distances from the center of the bit. The flat faces come in handy in that it's easier to keep against a guide fence and doesn't change like a not quite perfectly round base. - the electronic variable speed lets you adjust for larger diameter bits - important when in a router table. - the height adjustment is straghtforeward and has fine adjustment. - the base comes with an insert for router collars. - it's bright YELLOW! so, despite it's relavely dimunitive size, easy to spot amongst the bench top clutter

The big "disadvantage" of the DW621 is that it's base is fairly small and therefore a little tippy when routing the edges of things. An offset base solves that one and Pat Warner makes a nice one for the DW621

- I think)

I frankly won't understand why "fixed" routers are still around. A plunge router will do everything a "fixed" router will do AND do safe and accurate plunge cuts.

I do have a Portr Cable D-handle - that wieghs a ton - but don't use it very often.

charlie b

charlie b

Smaller, more stable.

Reply to