US - UK transforming

Hi - I have a retro 60's american blender I'd like to use in the UK. It lists on the back the following electrical info :

115 V 25-60 Cycle 5.2 Amps (!!) 575 Watts

I'm guessing I can't just use a plug converter (too much load) and if I use a transformer it will be bigger than the blender..?

Are there any other options - anyone know a company that will convert

- re-wire etc ?

Rgds

Reply to
Stix

It is probably technically possible to rewire it. However, it will cost lots more than the appropriate size of isolation transformer. (which you could conceal, as long as it has ventilation).

A 600W transformer (or better, an 800W) one would be fine. Screwfix have a 3000W one for 50 quid or so, so you'll be looking at paying somewhat less.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Finding someone to install a 240 volts ac motor of the right size might be expensive.

The TLC-Direct.co.uk site has step down transformers of working ranges up to

3000 Watts.

Go to:

and type in the search words "Step Down" and it should give you a list.

Reply to
BigWallop

Can't help with the re-wiring but I bought a stepper downer for a 4 cup coffee machine and it's the size and weight of a car battery!

Reply to
rition

They've also got building site types cheaper, provided it doesn't matter than neutral and earth are at different potentials and you don't mind BS3535 isolation.*

Christian.

  • I didn't realise that transformers of that size could comply with BS3535. Does that mean you could use them in a bathroom?
Reply to
Christian McArdle

Have a look at

SX6992 would do the job

However, a site transformer, SD TR750/1 would as well, is isolated and it doesn't matter if it gets a bit wet in the kitchen. Half the price as well, if not a thing of beauty. You may like bright yellow of course......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What would you do with a food mixer in the bath though?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You'd probably get away with a 500Va one, but yes, it will be large.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That's the one I was looking at. If buying one, I'd be tempted to buy a 3kVA tucked away in a spare cupboard. You could then run a couple of 110V US style sockets around the house to a 110V industrial plug. Your US visitors will love you, and you can always borrow the transformer every time you hire something 110V from the hire shop and want to save yourself a couple of quid. Alternatively you can start buying proper 110V tools yourself.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Given that most prefer cordless stuff anyway regardless of the performance disadvantage, I'd say the idea of having to lug round a heavy transformer as well is a total no-no.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I have quite a few 110v tools ranging from chargers for cordless tool batteries up to a table saw.

I've put a 110v transformer in the workshop and wired to a set of EN60309-1 yellow outlets.

Then I have a site transformer that gets taken to where it's needed - I don't find it that big a deal....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:21:40 +0100, Andy Hall strung together this:

Erm, mix food maybe?

Reply to
Lurch

A few helpful points.

Your options are:

  1. use a 110v transformer
  2. have the motor rewound so it runs on 240v

Beware, there are apparently some US devices where the voltage on the neutral ends up on the chassis due to some strange practice thats illegal here. This can prove dangerous when used with a 240-110 transformer. So I'd want to check the appliance to ensure this isnt a problem in this case.

Finally you'd only need a 575 watt continuous rated TF if you plan to run the blender continuously. If youre only going to run it for say 6 minutes per hour, you can use a TF rated to produce 575w for 6 mins per hour intermittent use. This will be a fraction of the size and price - just ensure it has a self resetting overheat cutout.

FWLIW there is a small cheap compact way to do it involving series running with a halogen bulb, but I wouldnt recommend it unless you understand the implications of the differing run powers, ie start current, rated load current, offload current and stall current, and ditto for the halogen bulb(s), ie cold R vs hot R and so on. If you get it wrong things can fry.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If you are going to do this remember two points.

1) These units are often noisy - hum. 2) The transformers are built down to a price and have very high losses from magnetising currents. The running costs for a unit on all the time and unused are quite high.

I've a couple used in this manner, but they are only connected when necessary, for the above reasons.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol