OT: Super Freeze button

The faster something is frozen the smaller the ice crystals that form in the water content of the cells. The smaller the crystals, the less the structure and texture of the food is disrupted by freezing.

You'll see this in frozen meat, home frozen then defrosted meat will release more water than blast frozen factory product.

While you'll not achieve best factory results, it helps to chill food first in the fridge, switch to fast-freeze in advance then spread food to be frozen out a bit rather than in a single lump and it will all freeze faster.

Reply to
fred

Probably why homemade ice cream and ice lollies don't come out like their commercial equivalents.

Reply to
Titus Aduxass

... is the correct answer.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's the desire to do something to heat up quicker, pointless though it may be. It's not the same as throwing another log on the fire as soon as they come in the door, but it seems like it. Actually, even throwing another log on, it takes ages for the effect to be felt anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My Hotpoint went below -40C when I accidently knocked it onto fast freeze, probably for a day or two, when it was new. I don't actually know how low it went, as the red liquid in the thermostat all went back into the phile, but -40C is what it would be if it only just all went back into the phile.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

TD expressed precisely :

It runs the compressor continuously, ignoring or bypassing the thermostat for a timed period. The result is that the freezer temperature will be much lower than normal. The colder it is inside, the more rapidly anything put inside it will be brought down to below freezing. I think I read that our freezer runs on FF for 48 hours once the button is pushed, but it seems a bit extreme.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In real ice cream, tiny ice crystal size is key for smoothness of ice cream. This is why some people try making it with liquid nitrogen.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's an attempt to counter the hysteresis inherent in a bi-metal strip system. Nothing to do with the myth under discusion.

That won't stop my and Bill's SWMBO setting them to stun.

Reply to
Graham.

Users aren't rational. But they are rational when they act as if indicated temperature on the thermostat isn't the same as perceived temperature.

Scenario1 = two week winter holiday: Thermostat set to 5 degrees Celsius. Timer set to 24 hours. External temperature below 10. On return from holiday, somebody sets thermostat to 18 degrees Celsius.

Scenario2 = working week Thermostat set to 18 degrees Celsius Timer set to 2 hours in morning and 6 hours in the evening External temperature below 10 degrees Celsius.

Scenario3 = steady state: Thermostat set to 18 degrees Celsius. Timer set to 24 hours. External temperature below 10 degrees Celsius.

The perceived peak temperature in scenario 1 and 2 is less than in scenario 3. Cold walls, furniture and bedding have an effect on perceived temperature but no effect on the thermostat.

Reply to
metric_trade

Also perpetuated by news presenter and weather forecasters whenever it gets colder: "people will be reaching for their thermostats". Utter rubbish! Same with concepts of energy and power (usually with wind turbines!)

Reply to
Part Timer

FF overrides the stat, Compressor will run and run until it reaches the lowest limit the stat allows. It is a load of bollocks. Manufactures like it because many people just leave FF on and f*ck up the compressor.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I thought most freezers automatically turned off the FF after 24 or 48 hours.

Reply to
ARW

n the thermostat location.

I t prevents the temperature overshooting. Turning the thermostat up will defeat this. If fitted. and if connected.

Reply to
harry

The limit on how cold it can get depends on the refrigerant gas. When it gets cold enough in the freezer, the compressor is pulling near enough absolute vacuum but the gas still won't evaporate. Load is reduced on the compressor/motor. However the compressor motor is cooled by the refrigerant and if there is none (due to the vacuum) it may eventually overheat. Depends on the design. The temperature overheat device should save it. If fitted.

Reply to
harry

Management insists it does. I'm thinking of installing a 'more accurate' thermostat for her to adjust. One that's not connected...

You also need to install a warm-to-touch radiator to counter the 'the radiator's cold' complaint when the house is already up to temperature.

Ours doesn't but it must be 12- 14 yrs old, maybe more modern ones do.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

IIRC Ours goes down to the high (low?) -30's.

You ahve to wait a while for the icecream to soften then :-)

Reply to
chris French

A bit more alcohol in the mix helps avoid that... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

My plan is eventually replace our current timer/stats (1 per room) with a home-made version - fully networked, remote access, etc., but with the important proviso that they all show 2°C too high, in the vague hope that my wife will still feel cold, but see the high reading and feel that she can't justify turning it up any higher!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW