OT speed limit signs

Chris Bartram

It is.

Just a not a speed limit as such

That implies that

Ot is an offence as you pointed out agianst constructiuon and use .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like anyone gives a f*ck about 4mph over anything.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They should all just have the speed limit, like they do in France. What's the point in having an NSL sign?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

For some years there was no national speed limit and the signs meant "derestricted". They didn't want to change all the signs when they brought in the national speed limit.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

But they might aswell put in the proper number when they put up new ones. They change limits so bloody often (100 times more often than the national limit), so they might aswell.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The meaning of the "derestriction" sign varies - I think it's 70 for dual carriageways and 60 for single. Also sometimes they change the meaning temporarily, such as in the 70s when it meant 50 mph (I think) for a while when fuel was in short supply.

Reply to
Max Demian

What's wrong with a 60 or 70 sign? In France it's quite clear, you go on a motorway and it says "110".

That happened ONCE (and I doubt it made any difference to fuel consumption as everybody will have ignored it).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Maybe they didn't fancy changing thousands of signs when they brought the national speed limits in.

Reply to
Max Demian

Firstly, why did they use NSL signs in the first place?

Secondly, why when putting a up a new sign don't they just use the number, since the NSL has changed only once.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because most people aren't familiar with the infinity symbol.

That would be confusing to have two styles of sign that mean the same thing.

Reply to
Max Demian

Because there wasn't a national speed limit, and the sign meant "no speed limit".

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Well we did. Although I believe the police did not approve of FTL speeds in practice.

a number on it, you're to keep to that speed.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Then once we got a speed limit, they should have just used numbers for any new or replacement signs.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The police are not known for being the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Except that the limits are different for cars, busses & lorries

Reply to
charles
[74 lines snipped]

If you *must* argue with a troll, can you either go and do it elsewhere or at least trim your posts?

Reply to
Huge

Larger vehicles know their own limits, the signs are for cars.

As I said before, it works in France.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword