OT Solar panels start fire

Somebody in Hove may be regretting fitting solar panels to the town hall.

Nightjar

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:16:47 +0100, Nightjar Somebody in Hove may be regretting fitting solar panels to the town

Echoes a discussion in this very group a while back about photovoltaic cells being a risk to fireman, and the rumour that some insurance companies were upping premiums for houses with them fitted ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Curious that they were only inspected 2 weeks ago.

And on a nice bright sunny day you can't turn the things off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They can electrocute even with just moonlight, although probably not start a fire.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Nightjar scribbled

The place is being renovated. Some prat working their f***ed up.

Reply to
Jonno

On 21/04/2015 09:16, Nightjar

There you have it, checked last week, they moved something and made a fault that wasn't there before.

Reply to
dennis

Drivel.

Reply to
harryagain

Do you have the figures as to just how many milliamps at what voltage they produce in moon light?

Reply to
dennis

A strip of duct tape will do that. If you want something that lasts longer then use the aluminium tape that actually works on ducts.

Reply to
dennis

I wouldn't be surprised if that were cause and effect.

Possibly the reason for using foam.

Reply to
Nightjar

Moonlight has about 1 millionth of the intensity of sunlight.

(if that helps)

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Its daft as in the normal way, no way would they be a fire risk. sounds like the cowboys are alive in Hove to me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Raises an interesting problem. Take a solar PV array, what happens if you short or otherwise try to overload the array? Unlike the mains there isn't any more energy available to trip/blow any over current protection. So you have this 4 kW energy source feeding into a fault and no means of automagically removing that energy source... Nice.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Further, I'm suspicious as the building was being worked on. Kind of makes me wonder if they shorted out something and the weakest link got very hot. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Big "strip of duct tape" to cover just one solar PV panel, let alone an array.

Partial shadowing does reduce the output a bit but that is all it does, it doesn't totally remove the output.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

600VDC (or possibly 900VDC on commercial buildings) at several amps which can't be switched off remotely is always going to be a fire risk. It's ideal for generating long arcs.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It probably wasn't the solar panels at all, the mains would be live in the building to get the solar inverter to work.

Reply to
dennis

current

Where does the extra energy come from to blow the fuses?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
dennis