Swiss electric motor - colour codes?

I've won a totally dismantled electric motor off an bandsaw.

It's single phase, probably about 1.5kw, and has motor wires on it which say switzerland. Been declared BER by the electrical repair company because the bearings are shot and the brake coil is burnt out.

I'm not concerned about the brake and I'm sure a set of bearings won't break (got to be careful about the spelling there!) the bank. The connector box lid has the connection info, but I'm having difficulty there - I can do 'bl' as blau, 'rt' is rot, 'ws' as weiss,(which seem to tally with the windings connections) on the motor side of the connector block, but what is 'sw' (green wire !) and 'bn'? Plus 'br' appears twice but there are no brown wires! And then there is 2 off 'CB', one is connected to Line and the other to Z2, one end of the starter coil (Z1 is to neutral).

The other headache is that there are two much lighter wires which are white and appear to have near zero resistance and disappear into the motor coils.

Any help guys ? Many thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

This any help Rob?

The Medway Handyman

In German diagrams sw is schwartz (black) but I can't place bn (gn would be green.)

Reply to
Scott M

In message , robgraham writes

The first questio0n appears to have been adequately answered - do these two wires go to an embedded thermal fuse perhaps?

Reply to
geoff

The lighter wires with near zero resistance will be an overheat switch buried in the windings. Some are auto-reset, some are a fusable link so a one way trip! They are embedded in the windings to prevent fires

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Agreed. This usually is connected into the DOL starter solenoid. Do NOT connect it in series with any of the motor windings. No such thing as standard colour codes for wires in motors IME. Sort it out by function of the windings. The Run winding will be the lower resistance of the two and the other, starter will be possibly associated with a capacitor. The latter winding may be continuously connected in parallel with the run winding or may involve a centrifugal switch inside the motor.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

OT, but you're not allowed to make rhymes about colour codes:

Part timer

Many thanks to all of you - Dave, that's just the table I require though 'bn' is not on it - ahhhh - connected to Line and the mysterious CB. However there isn't a unidentified cable to fit it to anyway!

I did rather suspect that the two low power white wires could be the thermal fuse, but there's no feedback wire to the starter solenoid (didn't realise that that was done, Bob); anyhow for the moment that is not critical.

Ah - minor progress,as I've now looked at the diagram for input terminals again, and have spotted that they are using 'bn' for Brown, based on that being the Line terminal.

And another Ah. What's the German for brake (frennel or something isn't it?) as there are two terminals on the motor side marked 'Br', one fed with a diode from the line and the other to neutral.

The guy that took the motor out told me that when he did so he had forgotten to isolate the motor at the wall, and he got a flash/bang when he pulled the cables through the terminal housing. His assumption was that this was the supply to the brake, but it looks as if the brake-off coil is in parallel with the motor and the two wires he took to be the brake supply are in fact the DOL solenoid circuit through the thermal fuse,

Rob

.
Reply to
robgraham

In message , robgraham writes

Brake is ...Bremsen

Reply to
geoff

Bremse?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not only can you get a question answered here, but they come thick and fast within the minute !!

Well done guys. Not that this worries me - I don't have the brake and the fuse isn't a worry to me either, but I have added to the sum of my knowledge and I will now be someone else's 'Expert'.

Cheers and thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In message , robgraham writes

Watching the rugby on the telly, screen on in front of me

not going anywhere

(well, actually half time ... BIAB)

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Part timer saying something like:

Bloody Rotten Whistling Swine Bend Burgers CloseBy Whites.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

electronics career without such a nemonic reminder, pray tell. You can leave me to fill in the appropriate blanks ---- and I won't tell anyone else.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

codes:

>Poor bugger ! And being a sweet innocent who went the whole of his

If you follow the above link to the BBC, you'll find a BBC link to the Daily Mail. And the Daily Mail, Gawd bless 'em, will tell you the rhyme - twice.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Hmm - that is just a bit too 1950's and I'm afraid in this day and age, he should have used a bit more judgement even if he did leave out bits, and told the laddy to think of the rainbow. Rob

Reply to
robgraham