OT "Social housing" (Shortage?)

While out leafleting, I couldn't help noticing the number of council houses with two or three cars, parked on verges, front gardens (sometimes concreted over) etc. BMWs. Audis. New cars. Caravans. Motor homes.

These people clearly don't need to sponge off the taxpayer for houses. They should be chucked out to make way for people that do need it.

Reply to
harry

This is OK as far as it goes but should one set such standards after the fact. Or in other words, if there are children attending local schools and the residents work locally and there is nothing else affordable nearby, ad and your new rule came in it is not fair to change the rules is it.

After all, since the councils have allowed so many of these houses to be purchased with the permission of governments over the years, its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black as me old gran used to say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How do you identify Council houses? At one time it was simple - all those in a particular street were Council built and owned. These days, most of those houses are likely to be privately owned and the Council tenants are far more likely to be living in property rented by the Council from the private sector.

Reply to
Nightjar

And are people seriously suggesting it's more expensive to maintain a property than to pay the market value to rent a private house to provide social housing? A house must need some serious work to justify the £1000 / month over a house they built, paid for (via rent) and owned from 20 years ago.

Don't they call that 'asset stripping' or 'giving away the family jewels', jewels we paid for to provide housing for those of us who couldn't afford anything else. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought that the driving force behind putting Council tenants into private sector housing was that they wouldn't have the right to buy that housing.

Reply to
Nightjar

If they own cars like those you mention, there's a good chance they're not sponging off the state and if working not a parasite on those who do either.

Do you work? Some call not working retirement, others call it laziness.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I wonder if they were ex council houses? I cannot imagine Harry asked the people living there if they owned their own house.

Reply to
ARW