OT: Slide scanning (followup)

A couple of weeks ago I asked what would be the best format to choose when 35mm film slides are converted to disk and consensus was that TIFF with LZW would do fine (if I remember rightly)

I sent 100 slides to karmaan who advertises on ebay. He communicated well and although his default is .JPG files he agreed to convert them to my chosen format instead. They have just arrived on disk and each file is 30-50MB !!! so no problems with the resolution either

All that for £18. Recommended

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

What are you going to do with them? With that resolution, you should be able to blow them up to a size which would cover the side of a building!

Reply to
Roger Mills

In article , Anna Kettle writes

From your description it sounds like he captured them to jpg and then converted them to tiff which kind of defeats the purpose.

That said it's an excellent price and if he did capture to jpg at 100% quality then I doubt you would notice the difference.

BTW, what resolution were the slides scanned to?

Reply to
fred

You must have a very fertile imagination to draw that conclusion from what Anna wrote.

Given the large file size, there will be more than enough resolution for any purpose.

£18 for scanning 100 slides is remarkable value for money.
Reply to
Bruce

Maybe it was the part that said "he agreed to CONVERT them to my chosen format instead"

rather than "scan them as TIFF"

Reply to
Toby

Your's must be somewhat lacking.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You obviously don't know how slide scanners work. The result of the scan is an RGB bitmapped image which can then be saved in one of several formats. The person operating the scanner can choose JPEG, TIFF or any other format that the scanner supports.

Making a TIFF is NOT done by converting a JPEG into a TIFF.

I have used several different slide scanners over the years, and they all work in much the same way. Only the cheapest and nastiest home scanners (around £50 from a variety of sources or £90 from Maplin) save only to JPEG, and I sincerely hope that no-one offering a commercial film scanning service would be stupid enough to use one.

Reply to
Bruce

Indeed. I dont need them anything like that big big but it is good to have the possibility because who knows what the future will bring. I have just reduced some of the pictures in size and incorporated them into a powerpoint presentation I am putting together

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Yes, it's good to have high quality to start with - and keeps your options open. But they'll need reducing in size for most things. Imagine trying to email a 50MB image, or download one from a website!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Done both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I just bought a Konica DiMagic Scanner to digitize a several hundred slide collection.

Will then put them onto DVDs as videos for my parents .... it's their slide collection from 60's & 70's

Again ... from eBay. :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It can be ... in same way as you can convert jpeg to any pic file format.

But it would certainly not be the ideal thing to do.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick, is that the obscure beast I've been looking for that will handle 126 AKA Instamatic slides?

The mount is 2x2, but the film is square. Narrower, but higher, than

35mm; all the scanners I've ever seen won't pick up the whole image.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thank you for snipping my post, making sure that all the relevant context was removed and rendering the remaining quote meaningless.

It's quite a skill you have there. Is your day job writing for the Daily Star? Daily Express? National Enquirer?

Reply to
Bruce

That size might be good if she was to take out a small detail from the slide as there would be less pixels.

The problem with JPGs is sometimes noticeable if there is a straight line in the photo, like on an advertising hoarding, this can get blurred in jpg compression, you cant unblur it (easily)

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Champ saying something like:

Flatbeds will if you use a marquee dragged to size. Dunno about the dedicated 35mm ones.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I haven't yet met a dedicated slide scanner that will. Flatbeds means cropping carefully. A thousand times :(

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes, but at least you don't have to do it manually - use something like imagemagick and script it... (BTDT, albeit with scanned book pages rather than slides)

Jules

It doesn't stop some clueless folk trying - and unfortunately you can't punch someone in the face over the 'net :/

Reply to
Jules

My HP scanner takes 16 mounted slides (or 6 strips of un-mounted 35mm) at a time. Fast it isn't but at least you can do something else while its doing its thing.

Reply to
dennis