OT, single cup cOFFEE brewer CHOICE?

En el artículo , LumpHammer escribió:

I find most shop-sold Americanos too weak. My morning brew is a double shot of espresso with a little milk. I buy German vacuum-packed ground coffee from Aldi, a couple of quid and it makes 25 ish cups.

Yes, I do that too (or use the steam attachment on the machine). Still ends up not quite hot enough for my liking, I'm going to experiment with filling the water tank with warm water.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I use one pretty rarely, and normally flush the loose grounds down the loo, but it occurs to me that the 'green' way is presumably to put them in a food recycling bin... (My filter papers & grounds go into the recycling bin, but only after they've had an hour or two to drain thoroughly.) But I'd not want to introduce unnecessary water to a food bin. What do you do?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I do that too for filter coffee, as otherwise the first trickle of coffee out of the filter hits a cold mug and must cool considerably. It's bad enough that the drips have to pass through several inches of chilly air on their way down. Maybe I could redeploy my otherwise little-used heat-shrink gun, but I'd probably melt the filter funnel.

Someone else posted a link to a ceramic filter paper holder, and I thought that would also need preheated... but maybe the heatgun will solve that too!

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

I went to a Google job interview at their London office (not I did not get it, way too thick, but it was certainly an experience!).

They had a "tea room" that was lined down one wall with about 20 coffee bean dispensers (all different I think).

Then there were a number of grinders and a couple of those full-on espresso machines you see in coffee shops (with several "stations" each).

It was self service - though apparently a basic usage course was mandatory.

Those guys rock!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Many years ago [1] I was regularly working at IBM Greenford (developing a third party operating system on their hardware). They had half a dozen large 'beans to cup' coffee makers, token operated, all with different beans, spaced down the cafeteria. Tokens were ludicrously cheap, then you picked whatever you wanted.

It would have been late 1985 or early 1986. Even then...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you're looking for a coffee machine, I think this

maker.html

is worth considering.

is a little cheaper.

For what it's worth, I find that espresso (or Moka) pots make really nice coffee, even if you buy cheap & cheerful supermarket own-brand ground coffee. With a cafetere I only found one brand of coffee that made good results

- and that disappeared soon after I found it.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Try mentioning coffee on an American forum and you`ll be regarded as an amateur if your not home roasting your own blend never mind just grinding it...

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Nespresso machines every time - nothing better.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson