OT, single cup cOFFEE brewer CHOICE?

Hi all, I am trying to choose a coffee maker that uses K Cups or pods to get a constant brew.
I live alone and like the idea of a single cup brewer.
I have been looking at the: NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo by De'Longhi EDG200.G and the: Keurig K60/K65 Special Edition Single Serve Coffee Maker, but cant seem to see that one at Amazon. If anyone has experiences of these type of machine I would be grateful for advice! I live alone and black good quality coffee is my main beverage choice. Mick.

We have a Delongi Nespresso. Works OK. Pods are 'kin expensive.
You will spend 5 years and lots of money choosing pods you actually like. Avoid all flavoured versions eg. Chestnut, vanilla!
I *double dose* my pods to get a bigger cup YMMV

--
Tim Lamb

writes

Nespresso machines every time - nothing better.
On 5/4/2014 6:38 AM, Mick wrote:

I use one like this, with freshly-ground coffee -
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)99202593&sr=8-7&keywords=melitta+cone>
On 04/05/14 11:38, Mick wrote:

I like the *idea* of a single cup brewer but as my usual cup is half a litre I don't have any problem with using a generic filter coffee-maker. No need for expensive "pods" that can't be recycled.
--
Bernard Peek
snipped-for-privacy@shrdlu.com

The machine I got came with small and large stainless steel filter strainers, the larger one gives me the double dose hit I need in the mornings.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On Sun, 04 May 2014 11:38:28 +0100, Mick wrote:

Forget the pods. Basic ground coffee and a Moka Express. The 6 'cup' one does a large mug nicely.
About 20 quid on eBay and really not much messing about at all.

It's not supposed to do one whole mug! Unless you like lots of seriously strong coffee (and have plenty of money to spend on filling it).
It will fill six espresso-sized cups.
I use a single cup version, with strong ground coffee (but decaf) and pour that into nearly a mug-full of boiled milk. It's plenty strong enough. Something like this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you reduce the milk a little, and use some means to froth it, you get a cappuccino instead of a 'latte macchiato'.
(I knew someone who ran a bar abroad and ordered one of these big professional machines. But he got it back to front and served espressos in cappuccino cups, and cappuccinos in espresso cups!)
--
Bartc

Mick wrote:

Do the pods contain 'real' coffee or just a fancy form of instant with some additives to make it frothy?
Owain
Mick wrote:

Forget the 'pod' and 'capsule' machines, keep the kettle and use an aeropress
<http://creamsupplies.co.uk/c/cat_225.html
On 04/05/2014 13:39, Andy Burns wrote:

I find the Aeropress tedious to use. It is fussy over the size of the receiving vessel - one flask I have is great, the other doesn't work very well at all. However, it can make some very nice coffee with minimal dregs.
I would rather a device that was like a Büchner funnel. In fact, maybe I will check out laboratory equipment makers...
--
Rod

polygonum wrote:

I've got it down to a fine art with minimal delay, a colleague who shares mine OTOH dithers and farts about and gets distracted while using it and usually makes a worse brew.

Yes, but you find a mug that fits, then guard it with your life.
On 04/05/2014 18:48, Andy Burns wrote:

When going off somewhere and needing a couple of small flasks (something like 350ml, I think) of coffee, I end up making strong coffee in a cafetiere and then putting it through the Aeropress to get rid of almost all the sedimenty muck. And top up with a little newly boiled water to raise the temperature again. I find it effectively impossible to make enough in one pass through the Aeropress. And cafetiere always leaves too much muck - after all, flasks tend to get bounced around so do not allow it all to settle out.
--
Rod

On 04/05/14 11:38, Mick wrote:

I find that rather sad really.
--
Ineptocracy

Instead of paying over the odds for an expensive machine and a supply of 'pods' what's wrong with
- buying pre-ground coffee (and keeping it in a sealed bag or plastic container in the fridge)
- buying a plastic filter funnel/holder, and filter papers
- and having total control over the amount of coffee that goes into each cup or mugful?
If you can be bothered, buy coffee beans instead and a small grinder.

escribió:

It tastes so much better if the hot water/steam is forced through the grounds under pressure, as you then get the crema that forms from the coffee oils.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On 04/05/2014 17:45, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I agree about the crema. I was given a Krups Piccolo machine that takes "Dolce Gusto" pods for Christmas, and have hardly used my caffetiere since then.
The pods cost about 20p each, which is tolerable. My favourite is Americano, which has a frothy layer of crema on top.
The biggest problem is the fairly low temperature of the drink, but that can be fixed by pre-heating the cups with boiling water. At some point I'm going to try taking the machine apart to see whether it can be made to work at a higher temperature.
The 2-pod drinks like Cappuchino are at bit expensive at 40p per cup.

Out of interest, why don't you use a simple cafetiere? What do these fancy gismos provide, in terms of quality, flavour etc. of the final cup of coffee, that a cafetiere doesn't give you?
--

Chris

cafetieres involve getting rid of the grounds, capsule systems are much tidier in this respect. But, I use a cafetiere.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18