Boxing in stairs

Hi

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to box these in ?

I'm not even sure on what material to use

Many thanks :)

Sean

Reply to
DrLargePants

Why on earth would you want to?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good question.

The storage under it is visible and looks messy. Also it looks very dated IMO.

Reply to
DrLargePants

All buildings are soon dated. Enjoy them for what they are.

To wall off the understair space I'd use a timber frame with plasterboard. Since sound insulation is presumably not needed, 36x61mm CLS should suffice, and 12mm PB for robustness. A doorway would also be useful :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

As I'm getting older and I just can't even think about crawling into understair cupboards with my knees, I'd be tempted to build a pull-out storage trolley with an end panel to match the opening.

This:

Or this:

Or something like these:

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Perhaps after boxing them in, he wants to run boxing matches under them aswell? :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

MDF panels supported on 2"x2" studs, finished with brick slips to match the wall.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Sounds good, thanks

Reply to
DrLargePants

A curtain would be simplest.

Reply to
BartC

If you box them in, put a door at the bottom of the staircase, it is then a good energy save. (Stops heat from escaping upstairs.)

If you additionally use fire resistant materials (plaster board) it makes the house safer in a fire too.

Reply to
harryagain

Looks like the treads are open, gives you somewhere to store the children that fall through?

Reply to
Capitol

In article , BartC writes

You were born during the war AICMFP . . . .

Reply to
fred

1" pb if you want useful fire resistance

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The bricks are going. It's a false wall built up in front of the party wall. IMO it makes the room very dark

Would probably be easier just to board them admittedly.

Reply to
DrLargePants

Correct. They need sorting out. Thankfully my child's bonce is too big to fit through !

Reply to
DrLargePants

I would only box them into to the top of where they are now I think.

Doing it up to the ceiling and putting a door in would make the landing very dark as there are no windows to it unfortunately.

Reply to
DrLargePants

Should no be allowed, fisticuffs should be reserved for the ring.

Reply to
F Murtz

Giving up storage space is invariably a mistake IME. Timber framed doors with T&G faces? Cheap, lightweight, easy to make.

Reply to
stuart noble