OT Search and Rescue

It seems to be more the fear of litigation and blame claim. The answer is in the hands of the courts in the level of awards and the awarding of costs.

Reply to
bert

We would see the company or companies providing young 'fully-trained' replacements who after a 6 month cram course might have four hundred hours' flying experience. This to be shortly followed by a series of fatal accidents.

Which would of course prove that people should not get into difficulties in the first place. Any minister would tell us that.

Reply to
Windmill

Indeed, so why should we expect search and rescue to be paid for by taxes?

Reply to
Major Scott

Common sense would be ignoring HSE altogether.

Reply to
Major Scott

The same reason we pay for police and health out of taxea.

Reply to
harry

We don't pay for coastguards out of taxes....

Reply to
Major Scott

most others in the UK do.

Reply to
charles

"The Coastguard Rescue Service, which does cliff, swift water and mud rescue and searches for missing people is a volunteer body"

Reply to
Major Scott

That body is not "Coastguards"

Reply to
charles

I is thinking of RNLI.

Reply to
Major Scott

te:

cue and searches for missing people is a volunteer body"

We're talking about the people that fly helicopters f****it.

Reply to
harry

and searches for missing people is a volunteer body"

The RNLI aren't government funded. Why should it be any different if it's a helicopter or a boat?

Reply to
Major Scott

ote:

rescue and searches for missing people is a volunteer body"

t's a helicopter or a boat?

The RNLI don't fly helicopters.

Life BOAT dimwit.

Reply to
harry

perhaps because of the significantly different operating cost between the two - and the qualifications/training needed..

Reply to
charles

But who should pay for it is still the same answer.

Ambulances are for everyday people. Someone who goes out to sea or up a mountain should pay for their own rescue.

Reply to
Major Scott

:

mountain should pay for their own rescue.

Which is the sort of lines I was thinking along, although obviously it migh t not be possible to pay for a rescue oneself as with all healthcare few pa y for their own treatment, but if you go caving or hang gliding there shoul d be a charge or insurance that will cover the cost of the rescue should it be needed, then the treatment is another issue.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So:

Person A is very active, keeps themselves fit, goes walking, caving, whatever. If they need medical help/rescue they have to pay extra. About one in 10,000 people of this type need such help in a year.

Person B is very inactive and does nothing to keep themselves fit. If they need medical help/rescue from the back of the sofa, they do NOT have to pay extra. About one in 100 people of this type need such help in a year.

Does that make sense?

I also suspect that a lot of people who are involved with sailing, caving, mountaineering, etc. do actually put their hands in their pockets for the various rescue organisations on a "there but for the grace of god..." basis, if nothing else.

OK - those figures are entirely made up to illustrate an discussion point. But it really is not as simple as it looks.

Reply to
polygonum

mountain should pay for their own rescue.

not be possible to pay for a rescue oneself as with all healthcare few pay for their own treatment, but if you go caving or hang gliding there should be a charge or insurance that will cover the cost of the rescue should it be needed, then the treatment is another issue.

I'd say the treatment should be on the NHS as with any other accident, but we shouldn't have publically funded bodies going into remote areas at great expense. You find your own way to the nearest road or shore and phone an ambulance if you can't afford the insurance.

Reply to
Major Scott

IIRC, in France you pay for your rescue. And so people take out insurance for the activity they are involved in. NB you can include skiing in that along with the others.

Reply to
Tim Streater

rote:

n by charities but

or are they a

ency, which is

. Its origins

water and mud

body within HM

p a mountain should pay for their own rescue.

ght not be possible to pay for a rescue oneself as with all healthcare few pay for their own treatment, but if you go caving or hang gliding there sho uld be a charge or insurance that will cover the cost of the rescue should it be needed, then the treatment is another issue.

Well you could say the same for smokers or alcoholics. Or even motorists.

Reply to
harry