OT Search and Rescue

are they a

Agency, which is

water and mud

within HM

mountain should pay for their own rescue.

not be possible to pay for a rescue oneself as with all healthcare few pay for their own treatment, but if you go caving or hang gliding there should be a charge or insurance that will cover the cost of the rescue should it be needed, then the treatment is another issue.

Those are common activities. Most of us don't go out to sea.

Reply to
Major Scott

In message , Major Scott writes

Some in MR would sometimes agree with that sentiment given the stupidity displayed by some they have to rescue and some of the facetious reasons for calling them out.

Reply to
bert

In the event of a road accident the NHS is paid for th4 treatment by the insurance company.

Reply to
bert

But there are many, many circumstances in which there is no contribution to health care and rescue services. That is a special circumstance which is, I feel, anomalous.

Reply to
polygonum

What all of it? What about if I've only got 3rd party and I cause the accident and injure myself?

Reply to
Major Scott

I'm not exactly sure whether it's a fixed amount or a charge based on actual service required.

Reply to
bert

Whatever it is we can be sure 50% of the cost is paperwork.

Reply to
Major Scott

yes.

Do they put enough in that is the question.

And no where near as complicated as you suggest.

Think of it thios way, lots of peole might sprain or break a leg while walk ing. Maybe 1 in 10 it may happen outside their home, perhaps 1 in 50 while abroad on hoiliday. But there's 1 in 5 billion that went to the moon and broke their leg there.

the cost of 'repairing the leg is exactly the same becaus ethey will go to teh same hospital in the same bed with the same doctor. But I think it's co st slighly more to get to the man on the moon and back than it will do the man in the home or garden. I hoep if space tourism takes off, those going will be expected to foot the ir shre of the costs and not expect me to pay for their hoiliday mistakes, especailly if I can't afford the £m pounds for a ticket.

Note I'm talking about holidays here, i.e things for personal gain rather t han the pubilc good.

Reply to
whisky-dave