OT Search and Rescue

And a private contractor gets these for free?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They don't come out of the defence budget at the expense of other things the Armed Forces need.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , harry writes

The deal was done and announced some time ago.

Reply to
bert

Mountain rescue helicopters are run by RAF. Their main purpose is recovery of RAF pilots Mountain rescue teams are volunteers.

Reply to
bert

Ah - the nonsense of one government body saving money by spending more tax payer's hard earned in a different way.

Rather like the way they reduced the number of civil servants by sacking the cleaners and giving the work to a contractor in the H of P. Which cost more in actual cash terms - but looked wonderful on paper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That about sums up political thinking these days. The sort of thinking that got us in the electricity mess we are in right now.

The privatised firm will be able to get ex-military pilots at the moment. But when the supply of them runs out, who will pay for the cost of training new pilots?

Reply to
harry

It has been hidden from us 'til now. If you knew,why didn't you speak up earlier?

Reply to
harry

Who will pay for pilot training? When the existing organisation is dismantled, they will be able charge what they like as there will be no competition.

Reply to
harry

There will be none ina few years for them to hire.

Reply to
harry

Nothing to do with whether there is an overall saving or not so far as I am concerned. I am only interested in whether what money there is in the military budget gets spent in a way that best helps the front line troops.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Rubbish. The military aren't going to stop using helicopters just because they are no longer doing SAR around Britain.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

How many downed RAF pilots needed to be rescued last year?

Colin Bignell

.
Reply to
Nightjar

Don't talk rubbish and I was wrong about 2011, it was early 2010:

28 Nov

2011

Most of those stories have links to others as well, plenty of coverage

With that amount of coverage anyone with half a deaf ear to the ground would have picked it up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And while we are about it, the fact that RNLI is really not funded by Government should have been a scandal for years, or are we saying that the insurance you obviously take out when you go for a walk is going to pay for you if you go for a sail instead?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So the military are not going to fly any helicopters at all?

We will, as is the case now. The path the money takes is just a bit different.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The RNLI prefers the independence that comes with being funded entirely by charitable donations.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

So get rid of the Red Arrows too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd liek to know the reason(s) why they are taking it over first. Is it really to save us the UK money ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

How many yachtsmen/people on airbeds/people fell down cliffs/lost hikers/broken down ships/emergency transfers of ill people from ships?

Reply to
harry

In this part of the country, that would be dealt with by the RNLI and / or the Coastguard helicopter.

RNLI inshore rescue

Coastguard cliff rescue

Police, with or without their helicopter

Salvage tugs / RNLI possibly standing by

RNLI / Coastguard helicopter.

So, I ask again, how many downed RAF pilots needed to be rescued last year?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar