Search results from Google search

On Wednesday, 4 of the tech CEOs testified before some Congressional committee and one or more asked the Google guy about search results, saying that google sites were given priority, or something like that.
What was he talking about? Are you sure or only surmising?
Is he talking about the top 2 hits that are clearly marked "Ad"? It doesn't bother me that they put advertising first, and I ignore it most of the time, unless my search question is unlikely to find something specific, or I see that it hasn't.
What did the Congressman mean by "google sites"?
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 11:06:19 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Google owns youtube, among others. I find that youtube is annoyingly prominent in google search results.
Cindy Hamilton
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 08:15:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

I use google advanced search and have been eliminating hits that contain "pinterest" .. I don't know who owns pinterest - but it sure is prominent noise in my searches. " - pinterest " or similar in a normal google search might do the same thing < ? > Also - sometimes I will add " edu " or " gov " to increase the chances of finding a more-useful hit. Clearing the browser cache regularly also gives them a little less to target you with. John T.

Google always pushes their paid ads to the top of the stack. I used to use Scroogle until Google shut them down. They stripped the ads and the difference in the hits was striking. They also were not tracking the user. It is getting harder to stay anonymous these days, virtually impossible for normal browsing.

There's always Tor.
--
Maggie

On 07/31/2020 11:29 AM, Muggles wrote:

Which defaults to DuckDuckGo for searches. It can be amusing when you hit an Amazon page and the price is in Deutsche marks or guilders.
For further amusement we use TimeTrex for payroll management. I have no idea how it happened but when I logged in this morning the screens were in Magyar. I can hack my way through most Germanic or Romance languages but a Uralic language is out of my league. I'd be better off with Russian.
On 7/31/2020 10:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

Tor was kind of fun to play with initially ...

--
Maggie

In the end... Youtube, Facebook, Yahoo, Vevo, Instagram and others are all in a big fight. That's just how competition goes.

They all want the to grab market share from their competitors. Free enterprise!
--
Maggie

Except -- Google owns Youtube and Facebook owns Yahoo.
Each also own others; Google is actually now "Alphabet" with Google and the "Other Bets" which houses the other subsidiaries--some dozen or more; they're also a minority stackholder in Vevo.
Facebook hasn't gotten quite so diverse but has some half-dozen other subsidiaries they've bought up.
Verizon Media owns Yahoo.
The "competition" isn't nearly as competitive as would have you believe.

On 08/01/2020 09:15 AM, Muggles wrote:

It's handy for those onion addresses. Some sites that have a problem meeting the woke purity test find themselves without a home and have to go to the dark side at least briefly.
On 8/1/2020 11:43 AM, rbowman wrote:

Anonymous can be rather fun to play around with, though.
--
Maggie

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jul 2020 12:59:43 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Do are you agreeing that that's what the Congressman meant, just the two (ever three?) paid ads at the top of the search list?

Besdies the lack of ads, what sort of differences were there?

Tracking doesn't bother me, but more importantly for me here, the Congresscritter didn't bring that up.

Most of the time, I don't want to buy one, I just want information. Wading through a page of ads to get there is cumbersome. Scroogle usually popped up what you were looking for right away. It was such a threat to Google's ad revenue that they specifically rewrote the front end of their search engine to kill them.
The fact that it totally anonymized the search was nice too if privacy means anything to you.

[snip]

THere are alternatives to Ms. Google, with one of the favorites being "duck.com" (formerly duckduckgo.com).
It has the _HUGE_ advantage of not tracking your searches and NOT maintaining a search history.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:35:11 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein

It's still duck-duck-go in my browser - after typing duck . com
I'll give it another try - I tried it and Bing a few years ago - but went back to google.
Anyone remember savvy search ? it was the best - back in the yahoo and alta vista days .. John T.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 19:47:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Alta Vista is now the Yahoo Search Engine
On 07/31/2020 05:35 PM, danny burstein wrote:

duck.com resolves to https://duckduckgo.com/ on my box.

Eyup. Something like six months ago [a] duckduckgo.com was able to acquire the shorter name.
[a] who the fuck knows what the actual time frame was... the C-19 shutdowns have badly messed with my internal clock.

To clarify, a DNS lookup for www.duck.com resolves (via CNAME) to duck.com, which in turn resolves to 184.72.104.138.
A DNS lookup for www.duckduckgo.com resolves (via CNAME) to duckduckgo.com, which in turn resolves to 52.149.246.39.
Clearly, duck.com does not resolve to duckduckgo.com, since resolving implies DNS. Instead, duck.com and www.duck.com get you to duckduckgo.com via HTTP 301 Redirect, which is completely different from DNS resolution.
*** Command outputs
dig www.duck.com www.duck.com. 7199 IN CNAME duck.com. duck.com. 7199 IN A 184.72.104.138
dig duckduckgo.com www.duckduckgo.com. 21420 IN CNAME duckduckgo.com. duckduckgo.com. 20 IN A 52.149.246.39
curl -v www.duck.com * Rebuilt URL to: www.duck.com/ * Trying 184.72.104.138... * TCP_NODELAY set * Connected to www.duck.com (184.72.104.138) port 80 (#0)