I'm always bleeding

I'm always having to bleed the radiators in my house if theyre to keep warm and I'd like to know why this is if the pipes are full of water how is the air getting in! Is it coming in through leaky valves or is the boiler going wrong?

I asked my boyfriend and he said that the air was being made in the system by the copper pipes in the boiler braking down the water into hydrogen and flogistogen but then he said that the pump could also do that if its not set quite right and now I'm totally confused. Would the British Gas contract be able to fix this problem or am I going to have to get a new boiler?

Reply to
Sasha Klamp

You would need two British Gas contracts to address this one and then budget for a powerflush followed by a complete new system on top of that.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Where on earth did he pick up the term 'flogistogen'. It's atually 'Phlogiston' and is the old alchemists name for oxygen. Has your boyfriend yet attempted to change base metals into gold? However, he's basically correct. The gas in your system could be hydrogen as a product of corrosion. The soution is to flush out your system with a propriety flushing liquid and then to introduce an inhibitor (Fernox for example). My heating system is now 30 years old and still works perfectly due to these precautions. It's time consuming but easy and well worthwhile.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Izza not air, izza Hydrogen or summat. Fernox will help (drain & flush first to get the sludgy crud out), and if that don't sort it fit an air separator.

Note: check you don't have a Primatic cylinder first. You can't use Fernox in one of them (I had one - I ditched it).

-- Guy === May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

There again it could be a good trolling

Reply to
geoff

He is completely incorrect phlogiston is not Wasserstoff.

Indeed, water generator is likely to be your problem (or a pump installed base over apex).

Which is probably perfectly correct.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Methinks your beloved was winding you up. 'Phlogiston' is not the old name for oxygen anyway, it's exactly the opposite - over 200 years ago people thought things gave off the stuff when they burnt, rather than combining with oxygen. I thought most air got into these systems via leaky pumps, but then I'm no plumber (more's the pity or I would be retired by now).

Reply to
Les Rose

LOL! Sash clamp. This has got to be a wind up.

So am I.

You have a googlewhack with that reference.

Do you mean

Zymurgy

The message from Sasha snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sasha Klamp) contains these words:

I'm sorry, Sasha, but if you've got phlogiston in your pipes that's difficult.

That means you've got a leak between your furnace and the water, and before your phlogiston can get into the water by the normal means, it's getting in while still raw.

This might mean draining the whole system into fire-buckets, for one cannot be too careful with flogiston, carefully removing the flogiston which wil be floating on top of the water, and disposing of it carefully, preferably in an open hearth.

Then the conduit by which it finds ingress will have to be stop't, and the pipework refilled with fresh water.

HTH

Reply to
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message from "Terry D" contains these words:

On the contrary, the element phlogiston separates from anything which is burning, whereas oxygen combines with it.

Reply to
Jaques d'Alltrades

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Reply to
Lawrence

Lawrence wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
mike ring

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote | This might mean draining the whole system into fire-buckets, | for one cannot be too careful with flogiston, carefully | removing the flogiston which wil be floating on top of the | water, and disposing of it carefully, preferably in an | open hearth.

Nonononononono. Phlogiston should be securely wrapped in two layers of bin-bag, sealed with adhesive tape, and and handed in to the nearest charity shop.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Owain" contains these words:

Don't you need a hazardous waste chit from the council first?

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Guy King writes

IRTA:- "a horizontal waste chute"

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The message from Frank Erskine contains these words:

Lying down on the job?

Reply to
Guy King

A quick google search confirms this. Good style though - I suspect it must be someone who knows the group well. I remember their first troll message under this moniker - it was about electrickery.

I have included it as a reminder: Sorry if this has been asked before, but me and my boyfriend was talking about this last night and he said that the electric in the wires coming to your house doesnt flow in but just surges in and out as its something called alternating currant. He also said that there was something called directional currant but that was stopped years ago as they had to keep putting more into the wires. With the alternate currant all they have to do is to top it up now and then to make up the currant lost by people leaving empty light sockets on or not leaving plugs in the wall.

But if he's right why does the electric cost so much???

Reply to
Al Reynolds

The message from "Owain" contains these words:

Are you one of those 'Sons of Glendwr or something?

Reply to
Jaques d'Alltrades

Phlogiston fortifies the over 40's - it's true, cos before I tried it, I used to be completely ga`ga.

Pit.

Reply to
Cumberpach