Gear reduction motor oil

When I just finished my trommel, I had a gear reduction motor that I used. Apparently, it had never been used, as there was no oil in it, and I do mean DRY. I put some 30 wt in there, what I had. I have used it about four hours now. Should I put any special oil in there, and if I do switch oils, do I need to flush the old oil out, and with what?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

30wt oil is certainly better than NO oil, but gear boxes usually use a much heavier weight oil.

Go to the mfg's website and have a look at the service manual for your particular device. Assuming you need to use heavier oil I do not think you'd need to flush your system...merely draining it and properly disposing of the old oil should suffice.

Reply to
philo

What ever you use, be sure it is not regular motor oil. Should be non-detergent. If the machine is subject to relay heavy loading, use "gear oil". If lightly loaded, use something like air compressor oil.

If there are seals on the bearings, they may leak for awhile, but should expand when they absorb oil and stop leaking.

What is a "trommel"?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Guess I could look up "trommel". I'd also been thinking heaver. What's the speed of the box? Slow speed, or high? Might work on hypoid gear lube.

Fill with large hypoidermic syringe. Hypoidermic, get it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was curious enough to look it up. It's a rotating cylinder used to separate material by size. Trommels vary tremendously by size. It is a grain cleaner in the farming world. One purpose would be to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I went to high school with a Trommel! In the farming world, grain is cleaned from chaff using adjustable screens and a fan. The cylinder in a combine is used to beat the grain off the straw. It and the screens are self cleaning.

Still need more info one the speed, in and out of the gear reduction, and does it use straight gears, bevel gears or worm gears. Each needs a different type of oil.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

It is a 24:1 reduction motor. And I used a Cajun Injector to fill it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Basically, a spinning tube with holes in it so that one can separate different sizes of materials, commonly used in mining to separate rocks from fine ore bearing sized pieces of material. Also called a classifier.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not sure of mfr. but a 24:1 reduction with 1/2" input shaft and 5/8" output. American made.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Isn't this the kind of thing you can ask at the farm machinery store?

Reply to
micky

Or alt.farm.equipment.repair ? :)

Reply to
Larry W

It would have taken the OP about a minute to go on-line and read the manual for the equipment.

Reply to
philo

Oh, goody. We can disband the group. Everyone go home. There's no need for the group. We can just go to Google.

philo, ever been to Google? Yes, sometimes you can find what you're looking for. Other times, it is like looking for a particular grain of sand at the beach.

If you don't like open discussion, and asking questions, buzz off. Those of us here who don't know everything sure do bother you who do, don't we?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've always used 90W gear oil in gear boxes. The heat produced by the friction of the gears running in the gear box will cause the heavy oil to flow freely and it really sticks to the gears fighting friction a lot better than that puny 30W oil. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There is another plus to asking advice here vs. Google or whatever. It's someone offering an alternative solution that the OP hasn't thought of. Even the silliest sounding idea helps sometimes if it makes one think of alternatives. Two or ten silly ideas might combine to form a workable solution. This gives me an excuse to mention the series Connections by James Burke. He'd start each show by or in a modern invention then show all the odd things that came together to make the invention possible. Wikepedia link here if anyone is interested:

Dean Hoffman

No! Don't disband the group. It has way too much entertainment value. And, it always proves the Wizard's first rule.

Reply to
Mike

Thank you for your support. I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate the new Bing thing. Talk about finding a clamshell at the beach! But they make it necessary for you to wade through layers upon layers of ads before you even get to choose the search terms for what you are looking for. And about that. "Gear reduction motor oil" will get you hits about hiking GEAR, breast REDUCTION, penis pump MOTORS, and KY LUBRICATING OIL before you ever get into metal related stuff because they are all based on number of hits. And, as you say, someone can come up with a solution akin to adding oatmeal, or something wild that one would never think of to solve a particular situation. I do love Google, but IT IS AN ADVERTISING MEDIA, and has grown a lot towards that bent since it started, IIRC.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Is that any thing like Godwin's law, or Young's Law?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

+1

I just had to delete a lot of crap a "freeware" application gave me for nothing. :-( I guess I'll have to buy something to convert some WMAs to MPGs (iTunes is *so* stupid).

I don't use either.

Reply to
krw

I doubt it would stop the action as Goodwin says. In fact, maybe the opposite.

I'm not sure how Young's Law would apply here. Maybe all the posts could be viewed as droplets?

But, I read about the Wizard's first rule long ago in a science fiction book. His first rule was people are stupid. That is they will say and/or believe anything.

Reply to
Mike