Odor reduction

I am looking for odor reduction technologies for small rooms, especially bathrooms but also kitchens for that matter. Although a vent may be among the simplest under certain circumstances, it does not always do the trick. I've considered a simple air purifier but I'm not altogether sure of their effectiveness in odor control under these conditions.

Suggestions?

James

Reply to
JNJ

Tony Hwang

Open a window. A bowl of vinegar will help. No technology needed here.

Reply to
Phisherman

It is my experience that smell usually means moisture. Getting rid of the moisture is usually the way to go.

In other words, stop the cause and don't just hide the effect!

Reply to
Rileyesi

It's getting to be wintery here so a window is fast becoming an un-option. :) A bowl of vinegar though? That's interesting. What, just put it in the window or on a shelf or...?

James

Reply to
JNJ

No, this smell tends to be a lingering smell after certain activities. :) (Bathroom & Kitchen -- especially bathroom.)

FWIW, we do have a musty smell that we need to deal with as well -- the basement is a stone foundation and frequently leaks, sometimes badly. We're kind of stuck on that one right now -- I recently had surgery and can't do much for another couple of months (right as we hit the rainy season of course). We'll be working on that through most of the spring though -- dry creek bed for runoff, dry well, terracing with drains behind the walls, sump pump, exterior foundation repairs, bleach solution wash and finally Sanitred on the basement walls. That and re-siding the house are the last of the major repairs to the home (knock on wood). In the interim I need to set up an outlet in the basement and get the dehumidifier running again (I might just run 2 down there).

James

Reply to
JNJ

Not yet, but I've been thinking about these. So far I haven't found anyone that had an opinion on them, either way. Sharper Image likes to plug their wall unit as the perfect solution for bathrooms and near the kitchen's oven but I have to wonder if these things are as good at reducing odor as the claims. I've no doubt they'll knock particles out in a heartbeat but odor is slightly different.

James

Reply to
JNJ

odors are just very small particles.