Carrier Furnace Question

The inducer motor assembly vibrates/rattles when it shuts-down. The unit is 18 yrs old...The inducer motor runs smoothly and continues to spin a long while after power is off. Is this a concern...possibly a metal clip (for balancing) fell-off?

Thanks! (Stormy need not apply!)

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Ivve been looking at my owners manual for my 30 year old Carrier oil; furnace -- is yours oil or gas-- Always say. -- and I forgot that it has a troubleshooting section. You should find the manual for yours (I have the paper copy but found this online. )

I don't think I have an inducer motor. Certainly not one that looks like your picture. I can't tell how big it is.

Spinning when it's off sounds good to me. If this is just a fan, no it doesn't matter if it vibrates when the power is turned off. It matters if it doesn't spin at the proper speed when the power is on. That's what matters.

I've never seen a fan with metal balancing clips, and that includes the

2 squirrel-cage blades on my furnace . Did you actually find a clip? That seems to go on the fan?
Reply to
micky

I've seen lots of clip-ballanced squirrel cage blowers. Dumb idea as far as I'm concerned but not uncommon

Reply to
clare

This is an NG unit...I pulled-off the exhaust PVC and looked at the plastic fan...it's not loose and no weights or scratches where they might have been. The gas shuts-off 1st and after about 10 sec. power to the inducer motor is cut-off and then there is a shutter to the whole assem. (jpg link). Maybe it's caused by the long PVC exhaust run (about 20') It has been running well in this -15 deg weather...just wonder if anyone has heard or seen this...

Reply to
Bob_Villa

I lubed the bearing of the fan housing and this quieted it down...it looks like a sintered type.

Reply to
Bob_Villa