Search annoyance OT

Searching for travertine style ceramic tiles I am finding lots of sites which require you to sign up/log in or continue in chrome before allowing further progress.
I know I can just sign up but this goes against my efforts to keep a low web profile. Any suggestions?
--
Tim Lamb

On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 09:26:54 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Use a fake name and email/snailmail address?
I use a yahoo account that enables me to set up aliases to use for individual sites, communications whatever and that can be dumped after their usefulness has been completed. They can be created once you have a yahoo email account.
eg
Your main account address will be (say) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Once this has been created (inculding the password of course) you can the set up disposable address from within that account. They will have a 'root name' followed by a hyphen and then a disposable element.
eg
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com to use for tiles snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com to use for tyres snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com to use for stove parts etc etc
The 'root name' stays contstant but anything you put after the hyphen and before the @ is the disposable element. All emails to the disposable address will be seen autmatically in your main inbox unless you want to be very clever and set up folders and diverts for each disposable address.
Yahoo can also be set up to be read from an email client on your pc (or other device) to save you repeatedly logging in via the web interface.
On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 03:40:34 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

I do that, but on my own mail server. I did once get an objection from a society who thought I was pretending to be them, but they were very nice once I explained it.
Besides as we all know, Yahoos online address book is a bout as secure as a cardboard safe.
Brian
--
----- -
On 03/09/17 09:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

That's strange. Got a web site address?
"Continue in chrome" kind of suggests a switch from a unknown media or security context, the sort that may present itself if it's a badly written website not supported in a not-Chrome compatible website.
Or it could be pesky google advertising ...

Try an alternative web browser?
--
Adrian C

Yes private web browsing in Firefox and fit a decent ad blocker. If they actually won't let you look around without giving your details, I'd be very suspicious. You can after all go into a high street store and look around without giving all your details to some pillock on the door. Brian
--
----- -
On 03/09/2017 09:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

An irritation which I share wearing my "working" had, when you just want to get a product data sheet. To be fair to engineering sites, they do seem to know not to spam you.
For private use, I usually say "Stuff them them, they can do without my business".
My real hate is car dealers. I don't buy new cars, but a few years ago I bought a high spec 2 year old Honda for cash from a main dealer. Obviously, I want them to have my details for recalls. But in spite of asking them not to follow up, every year I get "personalised" letters, emails, and particularly stupid texts that are barely more subtle than Nigerian emails.
These are almost enough to add Honda to my blacklist, excellent though the car is. ARE YOU LISTENING HONDA?
Tim Lamb wrote:

Signing up, e.g. to download a catalogue is a technique to reap sales prospects, but just to look at a website? Seems more likely to push potential customers elsewhere ... none of the handful of searches I tried did that, got an example?

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/376191375096174019/
Following a *visit page* route from a photo set brought up during a web search using Firefox.
As Mark says, simply giving a temporary address should work but I'm happy to give a real address if the site is likely to be useful.
Perhaps it is just Google scraping sign ups.

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

Ah well pinterest, explains it; they do seem to let you scroll a little further than they used to before flining up their login banner, I just tend to ignore them when they appear in search results ...
On Sunday, 3 September 2017 13:03:46 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Pinterest are rapidly breaking Google image search like some of the spam-shopping sites used to.
-pinterest is one of the more useful switches that can be applied to searches
Owain

Pinterest are mostly a waste of space, however for the kinds of sites that pop up a 'login now' box that greys out the content behind and stops it scrolling (but is still there), you can go into 'developer tools' and disable it.
In Chrome you right click on the grey background and go 'inspect'. This will highlight the <div> in the source. Right click it and go 'Delete element'. This makes the login box and grey background disappear, and the page now scrolls properly.
Firefox has similar tools. You may have to try randomly deleting other bits of the page until you hit upon the right one.
Theo

Interesting Theo. Stretching my capabilities a bit but avoiding Crome seems a worthwhile objective:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On 04/09/2017 00:48, Theo wrote:

+1
I find that technique works on lots of sites that pop up something in front of what you want to read, and dim the background.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 12:26:26 +0100, Tim Lamb

You don't need to create a 'temporary' address. You can create a special address for this purpose, and disable it, only if you start receiving spam on it. This is what I do. Therefore you continue to receive emails as long as they are useful.
On 03/09/2017 13:34, Mark wrote:

In cases where site don't need to confirm the email address actually works, I find giving them something like postmaster@<nameofsite>.com can work well - that way they will receive their own spam rather than you.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/09/2017 10:36, John Rumm wrote:

I like it. Recursion: See Recursion.
Tim Lamb wrote:

I get tons of crap from pinterest, I do not know how I caught it .
On 03/09/2017 12:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

Pinterest seem to be a law unto themselves. In the end I gave them a fake address using an address on *their* domain! Seemed to keep it happy ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.