OT Sarah Millican

About as funny as piles.

Reply to
Mike P

Agreed. That Jo Brand, for example. Must be one of the least funny comics I've seen - but then again, like some TV comics, she might be razor-sharp and funny in front of an audience in a decent venue. I've not seen her live so can't say for sure.

Agreed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Agree with that! Also I can't stand Phil Jupitus on QI - thinks it's all about him.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Funnily enough she's the one I didn't put in as an example as she's top of the hit list. She's not stupid and she does vary the material but it never seems long before it rolls back into some diatribe about cake and men (plus having a voice like nails on blackboard.)

French & Saunders were another one that goes straight over my funny bone

- it's almost as if they were so bouyed up by the mere act of being the centre of attention that they forgot to even /try/ and be funny.

It's not even base sexism either - I know various women who don't find female comics funny.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Rather agree about F&S.

Reply to
polygonum

Ian Hislop is pretty witty.

Reply to
harry

Now then, I've had a lorra, lorra letters .... but I'm still here !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But not a comedian. Nor has he ever claimed to be. But an incredibly effective antidote to cant. I like the way his mild, slightly English country vicar demeanour hides a very sharp mind - Question Time is always better for having him on.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not at all funny. They weren't bad as straight actors in Randall and Hopkirk tho'

One comedian that really makes me vomit is Alan Carr.

Ricky Gervais has already been mentioned.

John Bishop used to be funny but isn't any more.

Walliams & Lucas are also completely unfunny IMHO.

Reply to
Mark

I think you will find that is actually Stephen Fry,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mitchell and Webb ? I find David Mitchell very funny and intelligent solo (QI, WILTY ..) and completely unfunny with Webb, although Peep Show is "alright".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's because Webb is a smug, talentless git and completely unfunny.

Reply to
Huge

Agreed.

Mixed. Not very, on balance.

Armstrong and Miller - very, sometimes. I found I had to record their show and skip through the tedious sketches.

The unfunniest pair I can recall must be Newman and Baddiel. A more unfunny pair of wankers I cannot recall, except Herpes and Lice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah, that explains it ! Even his voice on that dreadful clips program "Worlds worst movie disasters". And that's a dreadfully hyped title. I wouldn't call an accidental shot of a boom mic a "disaster".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Their BBC series suffered the law of diminishing returns, but there were some gems. They had a nice line in longer sketches with a surreal edge - there were a couple of good ones in their CH4 series too.

I thought "Modern History" was hysterical. Maybe an age thing ? But that was from TMWE, not "B&N in pieces", which I didn't see.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It is if you've just done a really expensive shot with explosions that destroy the set.

"You'll never work in this industry again!!!!!"

It's amazing how often the talent is shown breaking out in inappropriate laughter on these shows, too. I suppose it relieves the boredom of being on set all day.

Reply to
John Williamson

In days gone by, such things were carefully saved by the edit suite for a Christmas compilation tape, which got circulated among people in the industry, to the extent that after corpsing, or dropping the mike, or falling over, it was not uncommon for the talent to look at the camera and announce "Merry Christmas, VT".

Of course, it all ends up on cheap, shitty programmes compered by plonkers like Webb.

Reply to
Huge

They have both had a funny bone stuck in them.

Reply to
ARW

A threat of SELF abuse?

Reply to