[OT] safest method of remote payment?

details a charity managed to take £500 from his account.

I don't think the charity took his money, rather someone fraudulently set up a donation to the charity. If he'd reported it the money would be refunded no questions asked, whether he did that, or decided he didn't want a "tight-arse Clarkson takes money back from charity" story doing the rounds.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't think the money was ever in the "normal" person's bank do you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you certain about this? That he didn't ask for the money back?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. Simply allowing that as a one off donation is likely worth far more to him as publicity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The worst they could dod is make a charitable donation with it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

whose bank details and signature are being sent the buyer or the seller ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

which for me means a 3rd party could do that to me or anyone else who gives out their bank details.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I agree but I wouldnlt want to be in that position of needing to claikm mon ey back from a charity I doubt you would either, as for the OP JoeJoe it;s up to him.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, but it went from JC bank which is the point.

Reply to
whisky-dave

yes I know, but who's bank details ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes, they could but there are safeguards. When I gave my bank details to someone collecting on behalf of a charity, I was: 1. Rung by that charity to check that I intended to give them money and 2. contacted by my bank to check I was intending to pay this particular charity. It was these safeguards that brought the matter to Clarkson's attention.

Reply to
charles

This is why Paypal etc charge 3%. Otherwise someone has to take the risk

Reply to
stuart noble

i wouldn't be claiming the money back. I was agreeing (or not) to pay it. Whether I asked for it back or not would depend on which charity and what its object were and whether I agreed with those objects.

Reply to
charles

Did it? Or was JC asked to agree for it to go - which is much more likely.

Reply to
charles

individual or

IIRC:

Some one pretended to be Clarkson to the organisation.

Clarkson didn't pay any attention to the letter the organisation sent say the DD had been set up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes that was my thought. I did once ask my bank to return a DD. They did query my request, but my money was retrieved.

Reply to
Michael Chare

As you don't say what this is, and how likely you are to get a local sale or how much money is involved and the likely postal charges it's only possible to guess.

However

As you advertised it for local sale cash on collection then the fact that the buyer despite being miles away is "very persitent" should immediatley send out a warning signal.

What's to say he or she isn;t going to be "equally persistent" when having taken delivery they find its damaged or doesn't meet your description ?

Basically if they can't understand simple phrases like "local sale" then what's to say what other phrases they're going to have problems with ?

If this thing is a "collectable" in any sense of the word then stay well clear as "collectors" can be finnicky to the point of derangement where condition is concerned.

And believe m, the fact that the payment has gone through and their money is safe in your bank account isn't going to stop them being "persistent" all of a sudden.

michael adams

michael adams

Isn't there some provision to allow money cleared through BACS to be retrieved? I have a vague recollection about something like this.

Reply to
pamela

It is easy for an approved source to set up a DD to your account. But part of the reason for this is it is also easy to get back any money debited incorrectly. So not easy at all to steal money from your account in this way.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

charity managed to take £500 from his account.

es to get it and sending a cheque (recorded or not) isn't that much hassle for most.

But surely the problem with a cheque is that it can be reversed later, even though the money has appeared in your account as 'availabvle funds'.

Robert

Reply to
rmlaws54