[OT] safest method of remote payment?

Looking to take payment from a buyer far away from me within the UK.
What is the safest method to do that? i.e. so that once the money is in my account it cannot be touched again by anyone but myself (so no reverse charges, etc). I intend to send the item using a courier, so I should be able to prove delivery.
Would a simple direct bank transfer be ok? How safe is it to give a stranger my bank details (bank name, account number and sort code)?
On 12/01/2018 14:06, JoeJoe wrote:

BACS or Faster Payments provided by most banks. Very difficult to get the money back.
If I was the buyer I would prefer PayPal and would never pay money into what might be a black hole or scam, but hey.
On 12/01/2018 14:17, Fredxx wrote:

Neither would I, but the potential buyer is very persistent, so I want to make sure it is not a scam (and hence will not accept PayPal). I will 100% honour my side of the deal.
BTW, the sale is NOT through eBay, but GumTree. I advertised it for local sale, cash on collection, but he is very keen, and is several 00's miles away.
On Friday, 12 January 2018 14:28:20 UTC, JoeJoe wrote:

e a

Buyer arranges courier to deliver cash to you and take object to them.

;-) Haven't thought about that one...

As you don't say what this is, and how likely you are to get a local sale or how much money is involved and the likely postal charges it's only possible to guess.
However
As you advertised it for local sale cash on collection then the fact that the buyer despite being miles away is "very persitent" should immediatley send out a warning signal.
What's to say he or she isn;t going to be "equally persistent" when having taken delivery they find its damaged or doesn't meet your description ?
Basically if they can't understand simple phrases like "local sale" then what's to say what other phrases they're going to have problems with ?
If this thing is a "collectable" in any sense of the word then stay well clear as "collectors" can be finnicky to the point of derangement where condition is concerned.
And believe m, the fact that the payment has gone through and their money is safe in your bank account isn't going to stop them being "persistent" all of a sudden.
michael adams

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

That’s his problem once he has paid for it and cant force a refund.

That’s his problem once he has paid for it and cant force a refund.

That’s his problem once he has paid for it and cant force a refund.

That’s his problem once he has paid for it and cant force a refund.

Beware, there is a scam for BACS payments.
The buyer pays you way too much, saying it was an accident. They ask you to pay the excess money back and give you the account details. This sounds innocuous. However, this won't be the original account, but a different account. You just helped them launder the proceeds of crime.
When this is tracked through your account, your bank will give you 2 weeks notice to close all your accounts with them, and they won't tell you why. You probably won't have any success opening a bank account anywhere else.
--
Andrew Gabriel

.
o I

ve a

nto

ill

So you send it to the original account. Or tell the bank to provide evidence of your wrongdoing, which they won't be able to.
-- Old statisticians never die. They just get broken down by age and sex.
On 14:17 12 Jan 2018, Fredxx wrote:

Isn't there some provision to allow money cleared through BACS to be retrieved? I have a vague recollection about something like this.

On 12/01/2018 22:04, pamela wrote:

It is very difficult. Banks will only reverse money if a scam. There a risk they might put it into a temporary holding account, but if given an email trail they won't send any money back to the buyer.
Personally I would be happy as an alternative to cash. Even notes can be counterfeit.

On 12/01/2018 22:04, pamela wrote:

On rethinking this. It is a common scam to use someone else's bank account to pay for something, and of course the money gets returned to its rightful owner.
I would say in this sort of case it should be unlikely where the name of the buyer is the same as the paying account.

Meet in a carpark midway and exchange your goods for money. Making sure you have a method of making sure the money isn't forged. And a way of making sure you can prove the goods are as stated.
That way, the buyer need trust you no more than you do him.
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Trouble is that with the worst of the crims, you can still get fucked over physically, as drug dealers have discovered.

I asked my bank about something similar about a year go. They said that giving out your bank details exposes you to no risk. For example you give out those details every time you write a cheque or set up a direct debit.
--

Chris

On 12/01/2018 14:34, Chris Hogg wrote:

Jeremy Clarkson thought that too. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm
--
Reentrant

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:44:54 +0000, Reentrant

Hmm..alarming. I don't understand how banks can allow an individual or organisation can set up a DD without direct authorisation from the account owner, but obviously they do.
But the point that you give out your bank details every time you write a cheque is still true.
I'm confused...
--

Chris

Thought one of the principles of direct debit is if you have a query, they are obliged to return the money before sorting things out? Unlike with a standing order, etc.
--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Yes that was my thought. I did once ask my bank to return a DD. They did query my request, but my money was retrieved.
--
Michael Chare

No, only if a "mistake has been made", according to the wording of the standard Direct Debit Guarantee.
Who decides whether a mistake has been made is, of course, the 64-dollar question.
--
Jack