OT:RIP Jessops

Another camera case in another hall

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Maybe because it prevents companies investing.

Reply to
Jim Newman

. . . ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Fascinating. Working in IT you are always aware of 80/20, but I didn't know it had a name ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Look, if you want to live in a small rich state with tiny taxes and a tiny market for most trades, feel free to do so. What is it you do again?

Reply to
Jim Newman

In message , tim..... writes

Istanbul on the other hand.

Reply to
usenet2012

Definitely one you'd never escape from.

Reply to
usenet2012

I have no sympathy for Comet as they got caught by a trend that they were in at the start of. In the 1970s they opened out of town warehouses, (I worked at one on Saturdays when at school), offering prices that high street shops couldn't compete with.

Reply to
usenet2012

In message , Tim Watts writes

Probably DIYed!

At least they formatted their telephone number intelligently.

Reply to
usenet2012

A fair bet ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You going to develop that further?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

It's not that easy to judge this in advance.

How can you know? If you reject a customer you'll never know whether they would have been good or not.

If you judge success by the fact that you rarely experience bad customers then maybe there aren't as many bad customers as you thought.

Reply to
Mark

It would be foolish not to haggle on some products. Would you pay the list price on a new cad, for example?

Reply to
Mark

I know it as the first 80% of the job takes 80% of the time and the last 20% of the job also takes 80% of the time ;-)

Reply to
Mark

On 10/01/2013 12:35, Jethro_uk wrote: ....

I always did that when I didn't want a job. On a couple of occasions, the quote was accepted. I was right about the jobs being a huge amount of trouble, but I was well compensated for the trouble. One produced a very welcome extra 10% of turnover (at a good profit margin) for three years. Once I had overcome the production problems and made all the jigs and tools, which the initial order paid for, the second became a very profitable, if infrequently sold, product in my range.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Eyethengue.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It might not be a good idea to turn away Mark Zuckerberg.

Reply to
Mark

I did regret the closure of my local camera shop, many years ago now. Not only did they know their product intimately, I suspect that Jessops would not have reserved a labelled place in their main display window for the newsagent's cat to sun himself.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That's how I learned it ;) One of my greatest lessons.

Along with : "This project's going to be a year late." "When did it start ?" "Next month"

Reply to
Jethro_uk

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk:

No negative comments, please.