OT:RIP Jessops

That's what brought them down, not the money men.

Reply to
Tim Streater

you can take your glasses off

you can't (easily) edit them out of the photo

Reply to
tim.....

+1. Got a EOS 1100D with a couple of lenses there recently.

They were a novelty in today's marketplace since their staff actually knew what a camera was.

(BTW your sig is a bit long ;-)

Reply to
Mark

That reminds me of the gym I was a member of. Two disabled car spaces but nowhere to put a bike.

Reply to
Mark

Cos they're cheap thanks to their goods being made by slaves in sweatshops.

Reply to
Mark

Made the mistake of using one of those on my last entry to the country. Never again. It would have been quicker to join the queue for the surly human.

Reply to
Huge

sadly,

I think that this is the only solution

VAT at 35% anyone!

There are international agreements that forbid us from doing this

Reply to
tim.....

I understand that loophole is to close soon

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Good for some items but not so useful for larger/heavy stuff. Some companies will only deliver to your home address.

Under UK law repairs have to be done in a "reasonable" time. 3 Months is much too long.

You mean you'd reported stuff stolen that was only recovered later? If you hadn't reported it then how could you claim on the insurance?

Reply to
Mark

Now the Internet retailers can put their prices up.

Reply to
Mark

You mean there's no competition between Internet retailers? Gosh.

Reply to
Tim Streater

When you're trying to convince some mug to spend a couple of hundred quid on a camera with features he or she will never understand yet alone use, and who would just as easily served by taking pictures of their grotesque family members and friends with the smartphone they already own, its necessary to try and blind them with a bit of science

Whereas apparently nobody needs blinding with science to be convinced they need to spend a grand or more on a TV set the size of a cinema screen or a sofa which will fill half a room.

michael adams

michael adams

That's presumably because the owners worked out that anyone who rode a bike would already have have realised they could get all the exercise they needed for free, without having to join all the other mugs who think they need to sign up for something, buy all the latest kit, and pay extortionate fees in order to be bossed around by some keep-fit fanatic, simply in order to get/keep fit.

michael adams

michael adams

And so unlike the goods in every other high street clothing chain and department store which are also made by slaves in sweatshops, but with a higher mark-up.

The "higher quality" found in the other stores simply means the slaves may spend 4 minutes at each stage of making a garment as opposed to 3 minutes and so earn 4p instead of 3p.

That same "higher quality" will then be used to justify it's being sold at twice, three or even five times the price in a high street store with percieved higher prestige.

For now.

michael adams

michael adams

You forgot mobile phone shops and greetings card shops.

Just for a laugh, I might call the managing agents for our local mall (it's difficult to miss their details - they're on every closed unit) and pretend I'm looking to start up a new business - combining mobile phone, greetings cards and coffee ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh dear - stereotyping. Bicycles are good for some kinds of excercise and not others. It is also preferable to use a warm & dry area when it's pouring with rain or below zero.

The fees were quite reasonable too.

Reply to
Mark

Competition in the real world isn't perfect. The fewer retailers there are the more likely prices will rise.

Reply to
Mark

Probably both. I agree with Tony's old-fashioned attitude: I buy stuff on-line, but I wouldn't misuse a shop & an employee that way.

I am getting fed up with the Staples website's idiotic refusal to let you order things that aren't in stock, so you have to come back & check the site every day instead of just back-ordering (it's even more of a mess if you want to order several items together to make up the total that qualifies for free delivery). I keep sending them messages complaining about it & ending with "You have just lost a £50 order to Amazon."

Reply to
Adam Funk

I doubt they will. too many of em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's why Jessop were able to get away with rip-off prices. Then the internet came.

There are 20+ independent camera retailers online.

There was only one in the high street.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher