OT:RIP Jessops

In this culture we may haggle, but *before* the agreement / contract is signed. Certain other cultures try to change the terms after the job is done to an acceptable standard. I know a tradesman who has had trouble from such people, and tries to avoid working for them. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

No - VAT is levied at the point of sale. Compamy profits are taxed (eg Corporation Tax) at the country of registration

Reply to
charles

Except if you're Amazon, who are rumoured to collect VAT at British rates, and pay it at Luxembourg rates. I am told that they also pay a large franchising fee (Equivalent to their profits) or something like it to the parent company, who are based in a country with approximately zero cororation tax.

As soon as Tesco or HMV re-open their download store, that's the last day I'll be downloading stuff from Amazon.

Reply to
John Williamson

Haggling and then paying an agreed price is one thing and fairly easy to do if it is a purchase of something already in existence such as a box of oranges, don't agree on price walk away ,trader hasn't lost the item only an amount of time. Trouble is certain sections of society are trying to impose their version of haggling on trades people after work has been done and both the work and price were already agreed. Say the gardener was asked to dig and tidy a flower bed adjoining a wall and while doing finds the soil level had crept up and covered and damaged some render. Now exposed they will consider it part of the job to have the wall fixed by him for the same price he quoted or they demand a reduction because "you've broken the wall". Another is to suddenly ask for extra work and expect it done for the original agreed price and often a stream of family members will be attending to offer " advice" ,nitpick, bring along materials (often unsuitable) themselves and demand the price is dropped. Can be a bit intimidating for a tradesman who is just trying to do a fair job for a fair price in the best way he can.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You have to include all those situations in the contract. Each time such a situation arises, add it to your standard contract terms. Then if they say "you've broken the wall", you can say "section 7.1 says ..." You can even include in the contract a summary of the way the contract is to be negotiated, etc. Of course you need also need a contractual method of dealing with genuine snagging.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Funny, but I did the same thing, albeit perhaps on a slightly longer timescale than you (bought my Canon from Jessops in Cambridge circa 2005 and emigrated in 2007). I did quite well on the deal because someone had screwed up the advertised price in the window display (it was about 150 more inside the shop) but they honoured the window display price for me anyway.

I'd never want to buy something like a camera online; the "feel" of the thing is an important part of the choice for me - and I find that's true of a lot of goods. I really like shops, and it'll be a sad day when they're all gone (but in 23 years we all get wiped out by an asteroid anyway, right? ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

This is where experience comes in ... knowing your trade well means you should be aware of such eventualities, and include conditionals in your quote. Obviously you can't cater for everything, but if you know (for example) that changing one brake cylinder is likely to cause the other one to leak, you can advise and quote accordingly. A fitter who used to work with me went solo, and once quoted a low figure to change a brake cylinder. Of course with a new cylinder on one side, the other sprung a leak, which he had to fix FOC. Of course, then the master cylinder started to leak - again getting fixed FOC. As you can imagine, he had to come back to work again.

Indeed. Running a small business is very stressful. Don't forget when you lock up and go home, you then have to worry about the accounts and incidentals.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

At the risk of starting a shitfest I heard one older guy say that Sikhs are quite keen hagglers, but also spot on paying - it's an honour thing. Whereas Muslims will invariably try and pay less - the classic being to take out a roll of cash, and press it into his hand - a few quid short. He had a tactic of accepting it (having factored it in) and then next time they turned up he'd remind them they owed him £10 (or whatever). They'd go elsewhere. However that's in motor repairs where it's harder to get stiffed as a trader - the ultimate sanction is not to release the car.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Would you pay the list price on a new cars?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

On Friday 11 January 2013 14:23 bert wrote in uk.d-i-y:

This thread should be hung up to dry...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's quite a strong area for camera shops, even now Jacobs and Jessops have gone: Classic Camera, Aperture, Microglobe, and Camera City at the bargepole end.

York seemed to be on their last legs years ago (10,20?) when they were in Southampton Row.

Reply to
djc

There are certain goods sold online where the rate of VAT charged is that of the location of the supplier not that of the customer. It just happens that the country with the lowest VAT rate is Luxembourg so that is where all these companies nominally based themselves.

This loophole is to close in 2015 (presumably because companies abused it - now that's a surprise)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

forgot another venerable name in the area: RG Lewis

Reply to
djc

They can also use them for general "traffic management", but AIUI some shovel the money into their public transport budget on the grounds that encouraging bus use reduces the need to build more parking spaces

Reply to
tim.....

No it needs retouching

Reply to
djc

That'll fix it.

Reply to
polygonum

You'll get by, you always have before.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Same here. For cameras (OK, I don't buy them very often!) & other things where the feel is important, I do the opposite of the practice Tony rightly deprecated above: I do some "research" on the WWW, read the specifications, &c., then go into a real shop to try out the 1 or

2 models I'm interested in, & buy the right one there.
Reply to
Adam Funk

Isn't the line down the eastern side earthquake damaged with the consequence of express being about 20 mph

Done the drive - the roads are OK

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mark writes

And lots of people don't have a job where they are able to have things delivered to a workplace.

No method of shopping will always be problem free, but issues around delivery when lots of people aren't around a lot of the time etc. will be sorted out. Lockers, collections points, timed slots, deliveries in evenings etc.

Reply to
chris French