Gas leak around meter box.

We have a very slow gas leak somewhere around the meter box which is outsid= e the house. It can only be smelt sometimes, and never inside the house. Ou= r gas-safe relative came round to have a look. He suggested that the atmosp= heric pressure could relate to when the leak is evident, which seems to rin= g true. He said he can detect a very slow leak, almost within the permitted range, = but his leak detector spray could not find a leak in the accessible pipewor= k or on the seam of the gas meter. He is going to come round with some blanking plugs are prove which side of = the meter outlet it is, so we can either get the "gas board" out or redo th= e 22mm copper pipework into the house, which is partly buried in some block= paving, and appears to have some cement splashed on it. Anyone else suspect it might be the copper with cement on it ? The block paving was not done by us, but is really up tight against the pip= e. And apparently the meter is very old. Hopefully we have not been paying = for the lost gas ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Check the test point where the manometer is connected. He has probably already put leak detection fluid on it.

Reply to
Onetap

Had one of these once. It was variable, there one day and not the next.

I finally correlated it with the outside temperature, and the gas man that came finally traced it to the sealant used on the meter connections. He re-did them, and the problem went away for good.

Reply to
Terry Fields

I was amused about five years ago when I reported a leak and the guy first tried his fancy technology, then cursed it and lit a match saying the old way worked much better outside as you could see the flame changing colour.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He put the fluid everywhere ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Sounds to me the OP needs someone that knows what they are doing. There is a permissable limit with the tightness test with appliances connected and NO smell of gas.

Reply to
George

The permissible leak limit applies to gas installations that are mostly indoors. The permissible leak does not apply if there is a smell of gas.

Reply to
Onetap

The permissible leak limit applies to gas installations that are mostly indoors. There is a smell of gas, so it doesn't apply.

Reply to
Onetap

close to here we used to get a strong smell of gas after it rained. It was eventually traced to residual gas in the old cast iron main being forced out by the water. We'd had the new yellow plastic main for some time by then, but the old one was left in the ground. It took a few years to finally disperse.

Reply to
charles

Just another way of making the same statement as my post.

Smell of gas = immediately dangerous

Reply to
George

In message , George writes

Domestic gas is only explosive in the range of 5 - 15%

get a grip

Reply to
geoff

Immediately dangerous in the respect of the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure, any gas safe operative will explain or

George

In message , George writes

I'm glad you used the term "operative", not "engineer" as they do

A whiff of gas in an outdoor situation (which is, lets not forget, what the OP said) is not going to achieve explosive concentration.

Indeed, when someone went through the gas main on our estate, we all gathered round the gas man who was repairing the joint while smoking a rollup

Life in the fast lane yellow badge boi

Reply to
geoff