OT:RIP Jessops

Another empty unit in our local mall.

goes into administration Troubled High Street camera retailer Jessops has gone into administration, with PricewaterhouseCoopers appointed as the administrator.

In 2009, Jessops managed to avoid administration by agreeing a debt for equity swap with its lender HSBC.

In recent years, it has been hit by increasing competition from supermarkets and internet retailers.

Last year, chief executive Trevor Moore left Jessops, founded in Leicester in 1935, to become HMV boss.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

These were also one of those rare places where you could get a human to take your passprort/taxicard/buspass photo using a human. It was cheap as well. At the present most of the photo booths are inaccessible being mainly touch screen so the blind cannot use them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So, we're down to one (independent) dedicated camera shop in the Potteries, then.

Luckily, they have an on-site lab and a knowledgable owner, who is, unfotunately, not far off retirement.

Reply to
John Williamson

On Wednesday 09 January 2013 15:53 Jethro_uk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's a pity - I liked them - even bought actual stuff (cameras and stuff) from their shops.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Our nearest shopping centre has lost Alders (one floor of 3 re-let to Primark). TJ Huges. Peacocks. Millets. Officers Club. Past Times. Then there are simply units which closed, for whatever reason (latest being Linens Direct") - about 5 or 6 of those.

Of course it's a viscous spiral. Once you start losing shops, there's less reason for people to visit, less footfall leading to less shops. ON our last visit, the missis said "Oh, it's quite busy", to which I pointed out that it was an illusion. Any shopping centre will look "busy" if you reduce the floor area by 50%.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oops, forgot JJB and Birthdays.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is that like Mr Whippy ice creams?

Once you start losing shops, there's

Frankly there is sod all worth buying on most modern high streets anyway.

I find them depressing echoes of times gone by.,

If I want to see what the latest and greatest is I go online. If I need product information, I go online. If I need to buy, I go online. If I have a problem, I ask online.

My wife even uses teh Internet to try out clothes. If seh downt like them they go back by return coiureier.

Its STILL cheaper than driving into town and finding that essentially all there is on offer is cheap tat for thick plebs with no taste and more money than sense.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wow, what's one of them? :-)

Reply to
tinnews

There is a mall on the edge of Eccles where the only surviving shops around a large edge of town carpark are a half dead Smiths and a moribund Next. Oh and a McJunkfood outlet on the approach ramp.

The shop that once made the famous "Eccles Cake" is long gone :(

Reply to
Martin Brown
+1 Couldn't have put it better. There is nothing unique on most high streets these days just higher prices.

Did have to (urgently) buy something locally a couple of days ago and it just irked me that I had to pay more to collect something than the

*same* company would have delivered it to my door for.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

That's all true but if the online sellers are mostly avoiding paying UK tax, it's like the life-blood of the country's economy draining away. Unless this is addressed, there's some bleak times ahead for our youngsters.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

They're avoiding paying *Corporation tax*. Their employees still pay income tax, NI, VAT, and we pay VAT on the goods they trade.

Reply to
Tim Streater

the answer to that is simple. Get rid of most of the corporation tax and put it in VAT instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apart from Primark of course. The place is packed most of the time.

Reply to
stuart noble

But they were the sort of discount chain that drives independents out of business. Now they are driven out of business by the internet.

Last year Jacobs and Jessops stood opposite each other on New Oxford Str. Jacobs went in the summer. Jessops were quite good in that they had everything out on display. So handy to check the handling before going online to find a better deal, which was probably what did for them.

Reply to
djc

Yes, even living in central London with everything within walking distance I find I am buying more stuff online.

Reply to
djc

It sounds OK, why don't they get on and do it?

Reply to
Andy Cap

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's still a lot of money and as they destroy the High Streets, their volumes go up and up.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Sticky, I would think.

Reply to