OT:RIP Jessops

We live a shortish drive from Napoli. My friends and neighbours work overtime to persuade us to never visit the place. I'd like to visit Pompeii but they all reckon it's not worth having your car trashed and everything you own stolen.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The only place I felt at all threatened by theft was Capri. It's the type of people the place attracts I guess. :-)

Reply to
usenet2012

It depends on the context.

In the secondhand trades in most things - furniture, books, antiques haggling is expected. That's why the price tickets are often coded on antiques. Allowing the dealer but not buyer to know what they paid for something without consulting their book. And allowing the seller to set an opening price based on that, which a potential buyers looks like they might swallow.

In my own experience when browsing in high class shops years ago, it was not that unusual to see well-heeled customers haggling for a discount for cash. Quite entertaining in fact. That's how many of them got to be well-heeled to start with.

michael adams

michael adams

In message , at 17:53:25 on Thu, 10 Jan

2013, djc remarked:

You can try, but customers tend to buy mainly on price.

I recall serving in a shop in Essex and being told by a customer that my wares were 20p (or some other trivial amount) cheaper in West London. The simple answer to that is "go to west London then".

Independent (rather than tenanted or managed) pubs have been like that for the last 50 years at least. And they are only one-premises businesses.

Reply to
Roland Perry

You may not be. Perhaps they are - even if they are in the same town as you.

There is a small minority of immigrants who are refusing to integrate.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

On Thursday 10 January 2013 17:36 djc wrote in uk.d-i-y:

They are not in a location you would find if you were actually looking for a camera shop - but I suspect a lot of footfall of passing tourists.

Blimey - that website...

London Camera Exchange on the Strand is rather better sited.

Reply to
Tim Watts

As I once suggested, you make 200% of your profit from 90% of your customers.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Managed the bit about "not smiling" did you?

Reply to
geoff

I'm not going to argue with that, but my point is that I'd like to be a "good customer" by placing an order in the knowledge that it will take a while for something I don't need urgently, getting it in the fullness of time, & not requiring any support for it! I can only recall dealing with two websites in recent years that make you keep coming back until it's in stock --- Staples & an obscure (to me, anyway) watch shop that had a specific product a relative wanted as a birthday present. I just cannot see the logic in refusing to take a back-order.

Reply to
Adam Funk

It might have been the only thing that was! They were so ridiculously more expensive than any other place that I did not even have them in my bookmarks for information even if I had no intention of using them. I'm just surprised it took so long.

Reply to
DrTeeth

Don't be a girl - I had no problem

Reply to
geoff

Because a) it would work and b) it would lose votes.

Reply to
DrTeeth

Pareto Principle or the 80/20 law. Applies to any number of things.

Such as that 80% of your sales are generated by 20% of your customers

adams

michael adams

I have to agree. I have never had any significant issues due to not trying first. I tend to find the things that do annoy me tend to surface after a few weeks' of good use anyway so trying first would not help.

Reply to
DrTeeth

Jethro_uk wrote on Jan 9, 2013:

I'm very sad to hear this news.

Two years ago I was due to leave on a month's holiday when, on the day I was due to take a ferry, I discovered my Canon PowerShot camera had died. I dashed to my nearest Jessops, half an hours drive away, and bought another Canon (which I'm still using). I wouldn't have been able to do that online.

Reply to
Mike Lane

As it's directly served by two (or is it three) railway stations, why go by car?

Ignore the Taxi driver who will tell you that it's two kilometres (or something) to the gate. That's to the main gate but there is another gate that (about) 400 yards from the station

Reply to
tim.....

I never feel safe in Barcelona (or are we restricting comments to Italy here?)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That might be the case, but that's no reason I have to pay any attention to it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just like they brought about the demise of many smaller camera stores in every town they spread to, like a disease.

Fuck them, f*ck the horse they rode in on, and f*ck their memory, too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes; mine is non-snipping bastards. You and Drunken Dave, there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon