OT; Proud Daddy

My little girl was first on scene for London Ambulance.

I'm very proud of my daughter.

Reply to
David Lang

And so you should be, well done to her. They all do a difficult and quite often, a traumatic job.

Reply to
Bod

I can't tell you have grateful I am to the ambulance people for what they did here a couple of years ago.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I wonder how the bus driver's going to talk himself out of that one.

And how much the BBC paid for the CCTV footage.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I don't blame you.

What a terrible accident, one of those which is almost hard to believe could happen. Hopefully the victim makes a full recovery.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Could it be the steering failed? Looked something like that on the CCTV. Unless there was another reason why he swung the bus to the side? It's not something that happens through inattention.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He needed to pull around the parked white Focus.

I don't know whether he accidentally planted the throttle, or something in the linkage went wrong - but the bus accelerated FAR harder than need be.

Reply to
Adrian

Is the CCTV legal ? I've been told that you can't have a CCTV camera that overlooks another property or over a road.

Reply to
whisky-dave

By a photographer? The same one that keeps telling you the wrong things?

Reply to
dennis

What photographer ?

The camera caught the bus and it's driver in a bus. While I'd have no problems with the others might be more sensitive if it's a school bus or the CCTV can look into anothers window. I was told to set up a CCTV system in my lab, but when I loked into it I''m not aloud to because of the data protection act. As they wanted the monitors in my office where teh students can see it, that is NOT allowed, so I looked into what is and what isn't allowed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

AIUI from one private property to another private property would be illegal.

Private property to the public highway ("public place") is not a problem neither is from a "public place" onto private property. This is how the tabloid snappers can take and publish photos of "celebs" in compromising situations - BFO lens from a "public place". There are exceptions under the Official Secrets Act or similar that make it illegal to photgraph etc certain locations, even from a public place. These are normally well signed to that effect and the serious security fenceing is quite often a bit of a give away as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The police are often very glad when private CCTV cameras catch footage of a murderer or attacker fleeing from the scene (or even walking towards it beforehand) so they can publish "does anyone recognise this person" photos.

If they are going to gratefully receive it and then prosecute the person who owned the camera, that's a bit churlish :-(

I wonder if the law is less severe for cameras overlooking a public place such as the street, compared with a private garden (or inside a house or hotel room or changing room) where people (unlike in the street) can have an expectation of privacy. Maybe a blind eye is turned for cameras that show part of the street but not private property other that the camera oewner's.

Looks as if the pedestrian was very lucky to escape with just broken bones. It's incredible that the bus managed to achieve a speed that pushed the car sideways only a few feet after setting off. Very difficult for him to offer any defence against careless/dangerous driving. I imagine his employers and the police will use the footage against him.

Reply to
NY

te:

But they also blur out those peole they are not interested in for legal rea sons, the average home users hasn't this facility. So if yuo put this on yo utube and people can identify themseleves they have the right to complain y ou have breached their privacy.

it would but what if that bus was a school bus, or you could see into another persons house. I don;t think that is teh case here but anyone insta lling CCTV should be aware that they should only be monitoring their own pr operty.

yes hopefully it's a balanced view. Ther'es plenty of CCTV vids that show t hat those showing the vid have taken steps to difuse some faces and even go ogle does this. Why does google do this, well google is a business not priv ate so they have to if they want to map theor google street view public the y do the same with numbers too.

Yes, I wouldn't have though the bus could have done so much damage in such a short distance.

Very difficult for him to offer

depends whether or not mechanical failure can be proved/disproved, although it does seem he accerlated a bit quick. I'll wait for the pros to do their bit.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's not the case by a long shot.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They don't want to be sued. Suggesting that person is in some way associated with the wanted one by being close to him.

Bollocks.

Never watched TV news? Camera in the street with lots walking buy. They don't blank out their faces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes it is, unless asked by the owner you can't record what happenes on another property.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Nothing to do with that.

STREET is public property, that';s the differnce.

because they aren't recognisable and they usaully shoot body only in a lot of cases.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Actually, since the introduction of HD, I have noticed some broadcasters (C4?) doing a slight blur on faces in street scenes.

But a "domestic" CCTV is exempt from data protection act, even if it captures some of the street scene as well as your own property, obviously you wouldn't set it up so it "peeped" inside your neighbours property ... most cameras can block out areas of the screen if needed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What the difference between that and a public place?

That is going to be tricky if filming someone who is standing. As they invariably are in a street interview.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you use a long lens as is popular, things other than in its focal area will be slightly blurred. Which would be passers by - except when level with the presenter or whatever. Who is hopefully in focus.

Is there a difference between looking at your neighbours from an upstairs window etc or using a camera to do the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)