OT: Problem with Firefox

Sorry for the OT post but I'm not keen on any of the PC groups I've read.
Yesterday I accidently switched off the PC at the socket without shutting it down - it shares the same mains as the Acorn I use for news and email. It had only booted and no progs load at boot. When I came to use it later Firefox had lost my bookmark file. It also threw up a Foxmark window I'd not seen before and asked for a user name and password - which I really can't remember ever having entered and don't want or need since I'm the only one using that machine.
--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

From <http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_bookmarks_tutorial.html
Firefox 1.5 and up automatically creates backup copies of your bookmarks. They are saved in a folder called bookmarkbackups. You can find this folder in your Firefox profile directory.
"C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.default\bookmarkbackup"
To replace lost bookmarks, simply copy the backup file to your profile folder (one level up) and rename it to "bookmarks.html".
--
Adrian C

I'm on an awfully steep learning curve with windows after being only used to the Acorn and couldn't find the file in Documents and settings. Found it by doing a search on C, though. But how you copy it up one level defeats me. Copy in the menu appears to do nothing - I was expecting a box telling me where to copy it to. But I dragged it to a floppy then imported it to bookmarks and everything seems ok now. So thanks for telling me the backup existed.
--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

after having cut or copied it, you go to where you want it to be moved or copied to and paste it there ...
London SW

Use this program for transfering files from one destination to the other. http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Total_Commander/945901171/1
You have two panes,one pane is the source and the other is the destination. You have to locate the source file first in the (left) pane then click in the opposite(Right)pane and locate the folder you require the source file to be copied to.
Enjoy :0)
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

One thing that will catch you, is the "Application Data" file has by default its "hidden" attribute set. You need to got to the Tools | Folder Options Menu, select the View tab, and find the "Hidden Files and folders" entry. Set that to show hidden files.
while you are there you can change some other brain dead default settings:
Display full path in the address bar and same for the title bar are more useful turned on. (helps you see where in the directory tree you are)
Turn off the evil "Hide extensions of known file types" - it is this little gem that convinces people to double click files called IamNotAVirusReally.txt.exe, because windows is daft enough to show it with the default .txt application icon, when in fact it is an executable file.
Remember each folders view settings is handy in as far as it goes (it actually only remembers the last 100)
Launch folder windows in separate process, will make things run a little more snappily if you have a reasonable amount of RAM (i.e. >512MB)

Copy from the menu just copies to the clipboard. If you navigated to the new folder and then did paste, you would get want you want.
Make sure you have the standard buttons toolbar on (View) menu - that gives you the "up one level" navigation button. You can also double click my computer again to open a second (or third or fourth etc) window on the file system, to make dragging and dropping easier.
Using Ctrl + C to copy, CTRL + V to paste, and CTRL + X to cut (i.e. move) files works. Another useful tip is clicking and dragging with the right mouse button. This will pop up a context menu on the drop giving options to let you choose a copy, move, or create shortcut.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Or just type "%appdata%" (without the quotes but with both percents) in the address box of any explorer window.
--
LSR

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

For future reference, "Copy" copies it to the "clipboard". You then navigate up a level (or wherever) and select "Paste".
If you want to *move* a file rather than copying it, use *cut* and paste rather than copy and paste. Be reassured that it's actually only a *reference* to the file that's put in the clipboard, and the file isn't deleted from its old location until you paste it to its new location. So there's no chance of losing a file by cutting it and then not pasting it.
This might all sound a bit weird, but I imagine you'll get used to it. Copy, cut, and paste are part of the basic armoury of tools of all but the most basic Windows user, and are very widely used, not just for files, but for parts of documents and other objects.
Nothing personal, but it staggers me that people expect to be able to use computers with little or no training. Have you considered buying a book? e.g. http://tinyurl.com/28u4r7
--
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes wrote:

snip
I've had the dubious pleasure of lending a PC laptop to a friend in his late 50s, who accepted it with bluster - 'if these kids can ...'. In the last couple of weeks he's been close to tears as I've tried to help him with simple things - shutting down (click Start!), saving documents, opening programs. He needs these skills to get a job, and refuses training. I think he finds the idea of 'school' demeaning - doesn't stop him asking me though ;-). In the end I asked for the laptop back - it was too stressful for us both. He's not daft - he has science and arts degrees. There's just some sort of blockage.
While I was on hols for a month I said he could try my Mac. I showed him how to switch it on and off, and how to launch programmes from the Dock. That's all. He's taken to it immediately - I watched him on it the other day, and while he and I do things differently (I'm still PC polluted), he just zoomed through everything he needed.
Perhaps Dave might be better trying a Mac if training isn't an option?
Rob

Will the warders allow those in the home?

I had the opposite problem :-)
Years of using windows (although I'm a solaris person really) meant that when faced with my first Mac I was trying to make things harder than they are.
I couldn't work out how to uninstall an application for a while - never crossed my mind to just drop it in the bin. My 6 year old however with no preconceptions of how it works on windows immediately got the hang of MacOS!
Would never buy anything other than a Mac now though - for me it's the ideal combination of Unix backend and easy to use GUI frontend. I spend my time at work wrestling with Solaris - I have no desire to carry on at home :-)
Darren

No. That is UNIX with GUI front end, of which there are many around. The Mac OS never had UNIX behind it. One of the fellas who founded Apple branched off brought out an OS that was just like that. Great but never caught on at the time.

Errr... yes. Isn't that what I said? For the hard of thinking, I'll repeat it: "for me it's the ideal combination of Unix backend and easy to use GUI frontend" (actually it's not really UNIX till 10.5...)
What "UNIX" flavour do you suggest then oh wise one? Something as usable as MacOS for the entire family and that requires no maintenance?
No actually, forget it. I can't be arsed
Darren

Look at the history of UNIX and the MAC OS.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Are you being obtuse (i.e. arguing a narrow definition of "UNIX"), or do you not realise OSX is based on a NetBSD / Mach backend?

That would be Steve Jobs...
He started NeXT in about 1986 (IIRC) when the board / Scully booted him out of Apple

That would be NEXTSTEP
Apple (under a new CEO) bought NeXT about ten years later and acquired Jobs with it. He became CEO again after the board lost faith in the incumbent.
You can get probably guess what technology OSX is based on...
--
Cheers,

John.

UNIX is er, er UNIX.

Yep. Full UNIX with GUI front end.

Yep, UNIX. The original Mac OS had no UNIX in it at all. UNIX flavours emerged with GUI front ends.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

And would that just be AT&T's implementation, or would you include Solaris, Domainx, AIX etc?

Not really, Mach was a replacement kernel for NetBSD - one of the first micro kernels. Is NetBSD a "full UNIX"?

Yea, and?
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:33:12 +0100, John Rumm

Sorry about that DD. I'm just a sad Essex wanker who has no life except fecking around on usenet all day, like you. =================================================================\ | Internode Ltd - http://www.solidisk.com/ | |-----------------------------------------------------------------| | John Rumm - snipped-for-privacy@solidisk.com | \=================================================================/

Self awareness is a good thing.

They are all variation of, er, er, UNIX

A variation or , er, er UNIX.

Read what I wrote.