OT: Prescription Glasses - help!

I have my optical prescription, and I eventually found a frame that works for me.

Rodenstock R2610C.

58-16-145

The snag is the optician wants £200 for the frames, and £350 for some varifocal lenses.

I'd happily settle for something similar, with a good height for the lenses of at least 40mm.

Or, better still, I'd buy the Rodenstock frames and lenses, but without the obscene mark-up. There's nothing to justify that, as the optician hasn't even done an eye test.

Anybody have any suggestions, please?

Reply to
GB

take a look at

or visit an Asda opticians

Reply to
SH

Search hit:

£190 all in for basic varifocals.

(not the 'C' suffix, I don't know what that means)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I used goggles4u, made in the states, but office in Gloucester. I bought rimless varifocal prescription lenses with coatings for £106....plenty of frames to choose from.

Reply to
Sysadmin

.....I forgot to mention the lenses are photochromic as well.

Reply to
Sysadmin

Maybe. Their site has "We have our production facilities in Thailand, US and Pakistan".

Reply to
Robin

Poke about on the 'net. Stick your details into

or similar. Look at well-known outlets to see if they gave anything you like (e.g. Specsavers have a "try on" facility, where you take a photo from yourcomputer or mobile device and it superimposes frames of your choice onto the image.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why would that make a difference if the specification is met. More than likely they have a very sophisticated, expensive computer controlled machine, that is accurate and quick.

Reply to
Sysadmin

That's funny. I replied, but cannot see my reply...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

My glasses are Flexon Titanium. The frames will withstand bending and can be bent back, and cost less than your £200, maybe about £135. The lenses are a good brand of varifocals and were more like £500. I wish I could remember the brand of the varifocals. I think the optician has to cut the lenses to fit the frames, probably something that can quite easily be got wrong, especially with varifocals.

I avoid Boots ever since they tried to fob be off with some lenses that were wrong, by telling me that I would get used to them. At the time I only wore glasses to drive my car.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I took it that your stating where they were made meant you thought it made a difference (to you or to the OP).

Reply to
Robin

Often the mark up is not all the opticians doing. Its the frame makers and the lens fitters. If the actual size of the lens needed is non standard, they tend to charge what they like from what I recall when I could see. Don't even ask about lens coatings or colours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

you need to go to specsavers! :-)

Reply to
SH

My Glasses frames are flexible titanium, rimless, no hinge, the frame cost maybe £1.50, (i.e. used in £2.50 reading glasses from ebay). Prescription glasses using exactly the same frame are £25.00, maybe £35.00, post covid/china vat. (superdrug and then selectspecs)

I've never tried varifocals. I just buy loads of different cheap prescription glasses, reading (multiple strengths), intermediate, distance, but my eyes aren't that bad.

Boots gave me a bad prescription and then got shirty when I had a new test and asked to see the prescription before the most recent one (the bad one).

Reply to
Pancho

Well I have been looking at some of the websites and I could save quite a bit of money by buying online. I just need to ask the optician to print out the full details of my prescription.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I don't know how opticians and dentists compare, but my father once lost his false teeth when throwing up out of a car window on the motorway (he was being driven home from work, in agony, with what turned out to be a kidney stone).

He went to the dentist and was quoted £350 for taking an impression and supplying a new, full palette. He found the company that supplied them was local and phoned up. One of the technicians took an impression and they supplied the palette for £50.

That's some mark-up!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why not use your newsreader properly and avoid posting through the trolls' favourite server? Surely it isn't that hard.

Reply to
Pamela

Inter-pupil distance is not part of the standard prescription, but it is something that the glasses-assembler needs to know. I have never quite had the confidence to order glasses "online".

Reply to
newshound

Perhaps that is why one website was telling me how I should measure that distance using a mirror and a tape measure. It has occured to me that I will have to be very careful buying specs online as there are many parameters to specify, and I want photochromic varifocal lenses which make them expensive.

Reply to
Michael Chare