Prescription Bottles / Seed Storage

Somewhere in my garden reading was a suggestion to use these for storing seeds. There were also instructions on how to easily remove the labels and the sticky stuff left behind. Was it here by chance? I have tried the plastic version of Goo Be Gone and it doesn't work well. It seems like it was something easy like ammonia or witch hazel ?? Anyone have an idea? MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

I save all kinds of containers for reuse. Easiest thing to do is physically tear off what label you can and just put masking tape over remains and use marker to label contents.

Reply to
Frank

Ammonia, sounds right. Ammonia solutions are also used at wineries to remove labels that went on poorly (usually timing in the labeling machine with front and back labels), so that they can be re-labeled.

Reply to
Billy

If you have tried soap and water and that fails try cooking oil (after the label is dry), it will dissolve many of the gums that are not water soluble.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I reuse lots of jars &bottles from many sources to use for many purposes - jams/jellies and seed saving being the most common uses. I tend to like TicTac boxes though for smaller seeds and dont' bother to remove their labels - I just gum another new hand written label over the old one. To remove labels I soak the jar/bottle in hot water and detergent - that often gets the label off - sometimes it will come off in one piece because the heat has softened the gum and it just peals of in one whole piece. Sometimes it just softens the paper and that can be torn off leaving paper and gum residue. When this happens I've found that Eucalyptus oil works to get the label and gum off. Sometimes it has to be smeared on and left for a while to penetrate and sometimes it will work almost instantly. Orange oil also works but Eucalyptus oil is by far the best label gum remover I've ever found.

Reply to
FarmI

Too much work... I use paper envelopes (cheap if you buy 500 from an office supply mail order place) in an airtight food storage bin with a hinged lid. A couple of bottles of silica gel with screen tops at the end to keep things dry. Works really well; I've got beet seed 10 years old that still germinates well. Of course, the ultimate is something vapor-tight in the freezer. I'm packing up a bunch of envelopes of stuff I have a lot of for a seed swap in a couple of days. Good way to cross-pollinate with other obsessed gardeners! For those in the Type II club, has anybody tried the small test strip vials? They have some sort of desiccant liner, so ought to work pretty well for small seeds.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Interesting PDF.

Bill who putters

I'm a home brewer so I save those yeast vials. They will hold about 2 ounces of okra seed and the screw cap seals well.

Great idea on the test strip containers btw!

Reply to
Steve Peek

Oh my gosh !!! We have home brewed for 17 years and owned a home brew supply store for over 8. I never thought of yeast vials. I have an attic full of them. Never mind the prescription bottles!! Where are you located? MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Oh my gosh !!! We have home brewed for 17 years and owned a home brew supply store for over 8. I never thought of yeast vials. I have an attic full of them. Never mind the prescription bottles!! Where are you located? MJ

Western NC

Reply to
Steve Peek

Where do you get supplies? We had the store in Morrisville, outside of Raleigh / Cary area.

Reply to
mjciccarel

Where do you get supplies? We had the store in Morrisville, outside of Raleigh / Cary area.

I used to buy from the Hendersonville store, (Jack is a friend) but now go to Hops & Vines or Asheville Brewers Supply.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate them. It was still fun to play with.

Reply to
mjciccarel

Have you ever tried to grow hops in your area? We were part of a study that a bunch of NC State students did out that way. Seems that they did quite well but it sure is a big undertaking. We planted some in Cary with no success at all. Had some in the store and the cat ate them. It was still fun to play with.

The guys I brew with have 10 or so different varieties. We had a couple of pounds or so to play with last winter. We have some new hop farms in the area. I saw some local Cascade advertised for sale last fall. The Ag Ex folks are pushing anything except tobacco.

Reply to
Steve Peek

I purchased some from Nichols about 35 years ago. It is a vine here and borders on being a noxious weed. Pull it up and the little roots come on.

Reply to
Bill who putters

We are planning a trip that way later in the spring. We would love to check it out. We are opening a Brew Pub before the end of the year, how cool would it be to be able to use "local" hops! MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Depends on their quality. Some regions aren't amenable to growing top quality hops.

How about "organic"?

Drinking Problems

Symptom Fault Action to be Taken

Drinking fails to give Mouth shut or glass Buy another pint, and satisfaction and taste: applied to wrong practice before mirror. shirt front wet part of face. Continue with as many pints as necessary until drinking technique is perfect.

A man is not drunk, who from the floor can rise again and drink some more But he is drunk who prostrate lies, and cannot drink, and cannot rise.

Drinking late at night, can lead to pregnancy.

Reply to
Billy

If you will mulch that vine heavily late fall the spring shoots will be white, tender and delicious!

Reply to
Steve Peek

Our hops are organic and our beers are winning awards, so I guess the hops are quality. We did have one small bag that wasn't properly dried and had some decomp issues. We're still learning about growing hops, got nothing left to prove about brewing or meadmaking. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Steve, what varieties are you experimenting with and whats your results been so far?

Reply to
Gunner