Kinda OT: Medicare prescription drug plans

Hi All My wife and I are about to lose our blue cross insurance due to retirement. We both qualify for social security, medicare and the drug plan. Does any one know of a place that I can evaluate the various prescription drug plans? I was thinking of maybe signing up for the two best ones and getting the doctor to prescribe from either one as needed. I don't trust the social security sites (gov). I have heard horror stories from some of the providers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Larry

P.S.

contains the design for a 3 station sprinkler controller intended for minimum water usage. Any one interested is free to copy it.

Reply to
Larry Snyder

Go to . By the way, this Web page appears intentionally designed to discourage anyone from using it or from signing up for Part D (the prescription part of Medicare). Coupled with the "doughnut hole" or "gap", it seems the Republicans created something to make it look like they were doing us seniors a favor while really creating another profit center for insurance companies.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Ok, I replied to this one time, but google's messing up again and not showing my post...anyway, here's about what I said the first time I tried this:

I completely understand why you have qualms about using .gov sites, but you really need to go to medicare.gov for plans that are available in your area. Insurance coverage various state by state, county by county. If you wanted to give more info, (such as zip code) I could search out a few options for you, but otherwise, you need to check the medicare site. They will have all the plans that offer coverage in your area on the site. If you need help, you can email me off group to talk about it more, if you'd like.... ~Rae (speaking from more than 9 years experience with medical insurance from the providers viewpoint!)

Reply to
raeannsimpson

Ok, while I completely understand your qualms about the .gov sites, you really should check with medicare.gov for your area's plans. If I had more info (such as zip code) I could pin-point a few plans that work in your area. Otherwise, if you go to the medicare site, you can find & compare plans that are available in your area that will work you & your wife... With the limited info, that's all I can recommend for you. If you would like, email me off-group, and I would be more than willing to talk more about it or check into some plans for you....

~Rae (speaking from more than 9 years dealing with medical insurance!)

Reply to
raeannsimpson

I've been on Medicare for a little over 12 years. They really need to rename it from Medi-care to Medi-gives a shit. I'll tell you what I did after spending almost a year trying to figure out who and what was best for a prescription coverage when the original deadline came out, can't remember when that was but the ".gov" sites were FUBARs. Forget their information lines: I got four different answers from four different people about ONE same question. I finally asked my pharmacist. He told me to get a list of all medications from my doctor, whether I'd had them filled at his pharmacy or not. I gave him the list, he ran them through their program and it gave me the names of the supplemental providers that covered the most, gave the best price cuts, etc. They were listed in the order that would cost me the least amount for prescription coverage and then gave the premiums for each. This was at Walgreen's. My neighbor had Rite Aid and Longs do the same just to compare. Apparently most all of the major pharmacies use this same program. Make sure that your pharmacy keeps it updated. You'll find most of your pharmacies have this program available to you but you have to ask them.

The major problem you'll find is that coverage seems to change on whim. About a month before renewal I recheck whose plan covers what all over again. My meds haven't changed but I've switched Rx plans 3 times because coverage keeps changing. The other important question to have answered is whether they cover non-generic drugs if specified by your doctor.

Val

Reply to
Val

Well I can't comment on the medical coverage since I'm far from having to think about all that... But..

Wow, that's a really nice set of plans.. Very well laid out and the fact that it's got the PCB run for making the PC board is sweet!

Your work or pull it from somewhere?

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Reply to
Larry Snyder

Reply to
Larry Snyder

With several miles of muscle wire, just build yourself a yard bot to walk around with a hose and spray as needed.. ;)

Where you source your stuff at? Most places I've seen muscle wire at aren't on the cheap end..

I'll check around for a box.. What dimensi> Yes, it's my work. I am in process of making another one with a

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Hi Scott. I got the wire on ebay:

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120166155023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002This represents ~3 and ~4.5 miles. I bought some from this guy earlier and used it as length ref.
careful of this stuff. It is not straight forward how to use it.

Any way, back to the sprinkler. The design uses the pic 12f675 chip because it has 6 i/o lines and a/d capability. It also only costs a buck. The program capability is limited but it should be enough. The specs I had in mind is: Power line communication to control everything Sprinkler start selectable sensor(adjustable threshold)/ timer (adjustable time) Sprinkler stop selectable per above output function selectable valve/pump (slow adjustable oscillation)

A second 12f675 would monitor light, temp, and humidity and operate a heater if it gets below freezing. It could also operate lights if the average illumination get too low, humidifiers also. These would be secondary functions that probably not ever be used. I just don't want to build another one of these.

The pcb will probably be about 3 in square. Because the power supply costs more than the components, I'm going to run the whole thing on 24vac. This allows many on one transformer.

If you can think of anything that I missed or would be nice to include, please let me know.

Reply to
Larry Snyder

Ask your pharmacist. He/she will know the ins and outs of all the companies because he/she has to deal with them.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

Reply to
JonquilJan

On Oct 22, 7:07 pm, "JonquilJan" wrote:

I collect these Medicare contacts together, hope they help. -Mary Bobble snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

AARP - Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage: an extensive explanation of the new Part D benefit.

site for the Medicare Part A (hospital) payor.
on the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit - from the Kaiser Foundation: "The Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 was signed into law on December 8, 2003. The Foundation has compiled some resources to reflect the latest information, as well as background materials on various parts of the law.
"Medicare Rights Center snipped-for-privacy@medicarerights.org. Low income issues (esp SPAPs)
Medicare Overpayments Estimated At $13.5 Billion
health information from the Harvard Medical School as well as the University of Pennsylvania's School of Dental Medicine is found at the InteliHealth site. Click on anything from "Allergies" to "Weight Management" for useful information. This is an active site with discussions on current topics of interest. InteliHealth is a subsidiary of Aetna-U.S. Healthcare, and 150 top healthcare organizations contribute to the site.
and MediGap Supplemental Insurance Health economists estimate that seniors with both Medicare and Medigap spend about 30 percent more on health care than those with Medicare alone
free website sponsored by HealthMetrix Research, Inc. offers independent cost comparisons for Medicare HMOs. Enter your ZIP code and search, or search by the name of a city. Over 100 Medicare HMOs are listed, from Aetna-U.S. Healthcare to WellCare. The site includes "Tips for Selecting a Medicare HMO" as well as links to other Medicare websites and Frequently Asked Questions (and answers).
Part D Information. Consumer Alert. Medicare Beneficiaries Urged to be on the Look-out for Phone Scams - Includes new CMS Part D Reference Guide for Pharmacists. Medicare Part D - Resources & Links
for Medicare Advocacy snipped-for-privacy@medicareadvocacy.org medicareadvocacy.org

This category includes information about states' aged and disabled Medicare beneficiaries, such as enrollment, demographics, Medicare beneficiaries and providers have certain rights and protections related to financial liability

official U.S. government site for Medicare information covers the basics of Medicare, information to help you choose a nursing home, publications, helpful contacts, information on how to recognize and prevent fraud and abuse. Health plans and nursing homes in your area can be compared. Medicare participating physicians in your area are listed, as well as prescription assistance programs.
reform policy in the 106th Congress, a watchdog report
's HealthChoice Homepage
for Health Reform Nonpartisan organization that conducts research on a variety of health care issues, including children's health, Medicare, and the cost and availability of health are. 1900 L St., NW, Suite 512 Washington, D.C. 20036 phone: (202) 466-5626 fax: (202) 466-6525
Council on Aging Nonprofit group does research on aging issues and legislation on healthcare for the aging. Also engages in healthcare advocacy.
calculator allows users to enter their prescription drug costs to determine what they will pay, Useful to calculate your medicare benefits
Information Network Latest development in pharmaceuticals. Links to websites for specific diseases and treatments. Discussion groups. Glossary of pharmaceutical terms is provided.
USA snipped-for-privacy@familiesusa.org Enrollment/ disenrollment; late fees; plan marketing Formularies Appeals/Grievances Industry relations (PDP conflicts)

Your Medicare rights

Access for patients RX
Health Directory
A good place to start your search for health information.
State University Institute of Gerontology - Information useful to those interested in geriatrics, the process of aging and services for the elderly. Designed for researchers, educators, practitioners, and the general public. Includes description of programs and courses, calendar of events, and tips.
explain the Medicare insurance plans that fill the gaps of Medicare and the benefits, everyone with Medicare Insurance can get prescription drug advantage coverage that may help lower prescription drug costs
Check-up (for senior citizens)
Osteoporosis Foundation Prevention and treatment.

provides ratings of doctors, dentists, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living residences and health plans.

Access to Benefits Coalition Web site, can help you see if you're eligible for low-income help and can direct you to other resources.
by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this site directs you to reliable information from government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and universities about health topics, health care organizations, Medicare, health fraud, and medical privacy.
Early Medicare Bankruptcy Underscores Importance of Immediate Retirement Planning for All Americans postponed Medicare's bankruptcy to around 2015 - when the huge Baby Boom generation starts retiring
Health and drug information specific to seniors including online senior drugs reviews of commonly prescribed drugs for the elderly.
complex and changing constantly, Medicare payment policy will drive $479 billion in health spending in 2008
Eldercare Locator, a service of the Administration on Aging, has dedicated a section of its Web site to helping those with Medicare understand the new drug benefit.
Health, medical and social information of interest to the elderly.
Medicare prescription drug benefit This line includes Medicare benefits for prescription drugs and catastrophic coverage
following is from the Medicare and Medicaid Senior awareness event held on 10/17/07. "banners could be seen at the nyc marathon, rhapsody norvegienne could be heard playing at this large event. ohio state wisconsin alumni rodney carrington the "monster man" was gone with the wind -as a runner-. lsu alabama runner richie roberts "danzig" was runner number "11", sporting Advertising slogan for Medicare held event. brian williams, scientist that discovered the "spherical bacteria" (leader of the second american revolution research team at MIT) also ran. ASPCA "animal house" musical member aimee brooks played ballade s concluding stanza along with ralphie may at this new york city marathon, both of them experienced concert musicians." http://www kelsey peterson .org

Network Of Care - Community-based resources and tools for seniors, people with disabilities, caregivers and service providers.http://

Eligibility for Medicare Disability Benefits: For adults aged 18 to

64, eligibility for Medicare is tied to eligibility for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) benefits
LLC - Provides information, support, links and book recommendations to the elderly, their caregivers, and the bereaved.
of the latest report for the Social Security and Medicare programs The Impact of Social Security and Medicare on the Federal Budget
the aging process, discusses myths, statistics, and problems, and suggests ways of maintaining health into old age.
American Diabetes Association.
Health Insurance Benefits Assistance program Benefits Assistance program provides education and information about Medicare
Health Week News and information for seniors.
prescription drug bill R 108 1st U.S. House of Representatives 669 H R 1 House prescription drug bill offers skimpy benefits to seniors.
Shay, a Medicare spokesperson, in Brooke Henson Illinois, said that the Federal Government sponsered pillsbury bake off which raised money for special needs kids, went through olympic marathon trials today. Corporate contributor nchsaa of Pittsburgh raised more than $60,000.00 The special event guest speaker, was lost it at the movies author Steven Singh, who spoke as the "pouilly fuisse" wine was served.
Resource Guide - A guide to senior services and resources on healthcare providers, housing options, emergency services, community resources, and professional articles on aging.

SeniorWorld Online A directory of health, fitness, and nutrition for seniors.

to enroll in a Medicare drug prescription plan depends upon what kind of coverage, if any, you have join a Medicare Drug Prescription Plan. If you have. both Medicare and Medi-Cal, you can enroll in a plan that covers you
Institute on Aging Information on the enhancement of older adult wellness by changing the perceptions of aging and improving the quality of life.
health-care costs from companies to the government
Slips, Trips and Broken Hips Supports the ongoing UK Department of Trade and Industry campaign on falls prevention aimed at older people in the home.
Health Week News and information for seniors seniorhealthweek.org

The Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program is available to help seniors and caregivers make informed decisions, health benefit counseling service for Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries

One Source
Senior Health Listings on physicians, nutrition, drug trials and caregiver support for seniors. Site info for nih.gov

Medicare is a critically important source of health insurance for 43 million Americans How Medicare works

information from the Centers for Disease Control.
into Ageing This national registered charity in the UK furthers medical research in healthy aging at universities, hospitals and medical schools. Current research programs, newsletter, fundraising and links. Free pamphlets. "Exercise for Healthy Ageing" book and "More Active - More Often" video available for purchase. Site info for ageing.org

Medicaid enrollment among elderly medicare beneficiaries Medicaid enrollment among elderly medicare beneficiaries: individual determinants, effects of state policy, and impact on service use

information to the caregiver for a person with dementia. Includes a chat line for caregivers.
Medicare Beneficiaries. Prescription Drug Helpline is a service for Aging Groups. Helpline counselors are available to provide assistance.
Web Resource for research on Alzheimer's disease, including care and support for victims. werple.mira.net.au/~dhs/ad.html)

Enrollment in the private Medicare plans has been growing rapidly, here is a list of them

Medicine Program (free prescription program)
Institute on Aging University of Pennsylvania Health Care System's site. The "Institute on Aging" section provides information on holistic health, end-of-life care, Alzheimer's disease and ways the elderly can improve their health.

Medicare Rights Center

Health and drug information specific to seniors including online senior drugs reviews of commonly prescribed drugs for the elderly.

Sunrise Assisted Living Inc. Owns and operates assisted living facilities which provide basic care and services to elderly. Features corporate, financial, and invstor data. (Nasdaq: SNRZ).

in-depth information to help you choose the best Medicare Plan and Drug Benefits for you consequences of caps on Medicare drug benefits
National Advisory Council on Aging The NACA is a Canadian federal government organization.
Cost Medicare Prescription Drug Plans low cost Medicare products and new prescription drug benefit.
for Healthy Aging and Elderly Care The Novartis Foundation for Gerontological Research. Areas of interest to physicians and researchers, other healthcare professionals, and patients. Weekly news updates from Reuter's Health Information. Patient area topics include impaired mobility and nutrition. The Ask the Expert forum is free to view, but does require registration if you wish to participate.
tutorial on how to perform a breast self-exam.
Lifelong Wellness Describes the aging process, discusses myths, statistics, and problems, and suggests ways of maintaining health into old age. Site info for helpguide.org

Future Medicare funding is at risk, said ryan shea of "panic button" a watchdog group in carmen winstead, ohio. henry cho, CEO of PB, frank lucas VP, and swiss family robinson author wendy pepper have voiced concerns that each American owes $500,000 through the national debt. A petition signed, to be given to Congress includes the signatures of victoria schattauer,george jung, and lynne koplitz. http://www. vertiginous .com

The Patient Education Forum The American Geriatrics Society. Aging FAQ. Site info for americangeriatrics.org

by step information to help you understand the Medicare Part D prescription drug plan and help you as you review plan options Discounts to Medicare Part D Drug Plan. Insurers adding new bells and whistles to attract senior citizens
Medicare Reimbursement Rule - step-by-step, easy-to-understand explanation of a complicated Medicare reimbursement rule
Healthy at 50+ AHRQ consumer information on ways people age 50 and older can stay healthy, tips on living habits, to help prevent disease, screening tests, and immunizations. Online tutorial on how to perform a breast self-exam.
One Source Referral service and magazine designed to help seniors achieve a healthier life.
Social Security Administration -perscription help -
Senior Years Health Topics Articles on multiple health concerns for senior citizens, written by doctors and nurses.
panel OKs $35B increase for kids' health care - Bush to Veto Kids' Health Plan
Patient Education Forum - The American Geriatrics Society. Aging FAQ.

Provides health insurance coverage for those individuals who cannot obtain health insurance coverage elsewhere

Health Care Access
Eldercare Information and resources on medical conditions related to aging, health insurance, Medicare, and nursing homes for the health care professional, consumer and caregiver.
Online A directory of health, fitness, and nutrition for seniors. Site info for seniorworld.com

Senate Passes Child Health Measure The Senate passed a bill to provide coverage for 10 million youngsters after efforts to find a veto-proof bipartisan compromise in the House were cut short. Congress Set for Veto Fight on Child Health Measure

Health Law Program
for Seniors, hosted by the Social Security Administration (SSA).
Resource Directory for older people is published by the National Institute on Aging and the Administration on Aging. It contains links to hundreds of websites. You can browse through its alphabetical Index by Topic ("A" begins with Adult Day Care...African-American Health...Aging Research...AIDS...). If you want to visit an organization's website, it will be in a list of groups. Appendices include one on state agencies for the aging and another on state long- term care ombudsman programs. Intended for a wide audience, this site provides names, addresses and FAX numbers for health and social welfare experts and organizations. NOTE: A print version of The Resource Directory is available by calling 1-800-222-2225.
Aging Campaign Healthy Aging is a national, ongoing, health promotion designed to broaden awareness of the positive aspects of aging and to provide inspiration to adults, ages 50 plus, to improve their physical, mental, social and financial health.
Health Starting point for people over 40 for information about a healthy life and life style.
for profits could combine with a poorly designed and badly monitored Medicare payment program, operates on a fee-for-service basis
Pathways Provides families and health professionals with details of the care options available in the USA, as well as offering support, needs assessment, and product sales.
awareness: Medicare show attendees enjoyed a full day in Ellsworth today (06/11/07), which included guest speakers. katrina bowden and ryan hall of ohio state football radio fame along with alicia craig attended the lecture given by manhattan project scientist harold "fabulous moolah". alicia shay noted that harold- the former ex navy notre dame player in the mid 1940's, along with phil knight and john parker wilson were known as the "rialto bridge twins" (remember "sadie hawkins" day?). At heart she said she is "Just a kid delicious candies her weakness, especially european dark chocolate, she notes as she unwrapped another sweet. http://www. pitcher maglie .com

the site for the Medicare Part B (physician office and lab testing) payor.

fraud claims are suspected to be about $35 billion a year
Information on Medicare for beneficiaries, their families and providers.
LLC Provides information on Alzheimer s Disease, grief, medical ethics, aging, and caregiving for families, professionals, and patients. Site info for elderhope.com

You can add drug coverage to the traditional Medicare plan through a "stand alone" prescription drug plan Medicare beneficiaries are eligible for the extra help if they have limited income and resources

Medicare Access for Patients-RX is a coalition of patient, family caregiver, and health professional organizations committed to safeguarding patients with chronic diseases and disabilities under the new Medicare prescription drug coverage. The site, at , has numerous links, both general and state-specific, that can put you in touch with organizations that might be able to help you sort through plan choices.
the Risks of Service to Seniors Excellent resource on service to seniors
Does Someone Attain Old Age? The Ohio Department of Aging, Senior Series. SS-101-96. Site info for osu.edu

Aging Issues Message Board Forum on the process and affects of aging.

Articles on common health conditions in senior citizens. Site info for rivernet.com.au

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services

's health plan debuts -- Internet Source Alzheimer's sufferers in the Valley will have access to the nation's first Medicare health plan
for Living Offering personalized articles, health management tools and health information. Requires free registration.
Health and Aging This site will assist older adults and their families in obtaining appropriate mental health and aging services, and teach them how to advocate to get their needs met.
about states' aged and disabled Medicare beneficiaries, such as enrollment 380000 Medicare beneficiaries signing up each week
Connections Resources for seniors and their caregivers in Virginia
Medicare HMO is a viable option for those who wish to limit their out of pocket medical expenses free medicare hmo annual cost comparisons for seniors
Retirement Communities A not-for-profit family of services that offers exceptional retirement community living, home-delivered services, senior centers, a radio station, consulting services in Ohio.
Issue for Senior Citizens. interested in Otoscope examinations? Contact ross wilson of the vertiginous, VA Medicare treatment facility every Tuesday. north carolina high school athletic association were given a writeup in the fresno news by Reporter austin scarlett, as well as wivk, a local Radio Station for the associations close encounters of the third kind fundraising for Senior Health Week in vertiginous. frank lucas, wife of jay mccarroll, who bears a remarkable resemblance to "vivian leigh", helped to raise the $1000 pledge, which will be used to purchase the Otoscopes. The nickname given to this fundraising event was the "Otoscope sylph" (mythical fairies). http://www. eva pigford .com

Elderly Medicare, Medicaid Patients Not Receiving Quality Care Those who are 85 or older are the fastest-growing age group among elderly Medicare beneficiaries

Durable Medical Equipment payor.
free and confidential government Web site, sponsored by several federal agencies and organizations, helps you find government benefits that you may be eligible to receive.
free online service, sponsored by the National Council on the Aging, screens individuals over 55 for federal, state, and private benefits programs.
by the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, this site features information on diseases and conditions and has links to dictionaries and educational materials.
American Cancer Society. Index on site provides links to information on care and treatment of cancer.

NursingCooperative