OT Plusnet Mobile Rant

Well in this specific case, the reason is that another system forced me to create suspicious transactions and I might as well rant about that as well.

I lent my son my horsebox when he moved house. He lives and works in Bath, which has just introduced a Clean Air zone where they charge £9 per day for access with my 2004 Renault Master. He assured me that he would not be driving into the area, but in the end he did. 11 times. I had 10 of the notices on the same day, and in spite of the notional 14 day payment window to get the reduced penalty, half of them were dated more than a week earlier leaving me only a couple of days to pay. The online payment system does not let you bundle up payments, each has to be done individually, entering the long PCN code, all your card details, and full name and address each time. By the time half a dozen had gone in, Barclaycard's bots not unreasonably smelled a rat. Because I did not want to risk being charged an extra £660, I really did have to make sure the transactions went through.

I thought it was more likely that they would block the payments if I ignored it, rather than phone me back. The last time I responded that a suspicious payment was not mine, they did cancel the card and call me back to explain.

Reply to
newshound

Yes I do. Annoyingly often.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Have a look back at a few, if they're from 5 digit numbers you wouldn't be able to reply.

Reply to
Andy Burns

nearly all AFAICR of 2FA codes are simply an instruction to key something into a web site

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd talked it over with a pal who has a Plusnet simm only deal same as I want.

At the moment, my usual type of text like this sends me a code that you enter. Usually to confirm/authorise a web login or purchase, etc.

I have had the odd one which needs a Y/N type reply, but not from anywhere that matters. My GP and hospital stopped using this some time ago - likely for this very reason.

Pal, who will moan if his box of matches is one short, hasn't found it a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Pal says he's not had a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Probably most are, I know amazon is, I don't get many from paypal since they've started doing it 2FA, but barclays (maybe others) need you to reply "YES" to an SMS if they suspect fraud, I use their "calculator" or mobile phone app for 2FA.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've just had a look through my SMS history over the last few months. Nearly all (banks, HMRC, NHS) are just 2FA codes to enter into a web site.

The only exceptions are Direct Line and EE, both wanting responses to a survey !

I wonder how PlusNet Mobile would do a survey then ?!

Reply to
Mark Carver

I'm with Plusnet Mobile, but I happen to bank with NatWest. They send confirmation-request SMS messages from a regular 07xxxxxxxx number so I can reply to them.

I don't recall ever wanting/needing to send a short-code SMS... so far anyway

This issue comes up regularly on the Plusnet forum

It's a purely commercial decision based on their contract with EE who need to differentiate the service.

Reply to
Reentrant

Which is why I am now with O2.

Reply to
newshound

Been chatting to my mate who uses it. The problem seems to be where the received email requires a short answer. Like, say, to conform a doctor appointment by replying OK. But in his case his surgery has stopped using this method.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

how can a true PAYG be more than you need?

Reply to
tim...

No Amazon's is a "Click on this link to open this web page"

which if you receive on a non Smartphone is useless to you

Reply to
tim...

Yes. Interesting concept

I havent topped my PAYG up this year yet...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

you could copy the URL into a browser on a PC...

But I cant ever remember amazon sending me a text.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We had this discussion a while back. If you don't use a smart phone, don't give Amazon your mobile number!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

... its getting hard to get a true PAYG that is true PAYG. The providers don't make money. They want a predicable income.

Since three dropped its 3-2-1 and its now 10/10/5. GiffGaff is 25/10/10

I wonder if the classic SIMS on E-Bay work...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Yes they work ok I bought two for 20p on ebay But whether they are on the classic tariff of 3p 2p 1p or then newer O2 much more expensive payg tariff remains to be seen

Reply to
Mark

Yes I know

But my Asda contract still is. In fact they have gone to great expense to let me pay even less.

AIH I have used this exercise to upgrade my phone so I shall be consuming more data now, but they didn't know that would happen when the forced me to go though the aggro of a network switch and bribed me with month of free calls to do so.

Reply to
tim...