OT:One good reason for a landline ...

Expecting a call from Dr. on my mobile. All charged, ringer on. Full service.

Thing has just beeped with a voicemail left by Dr.

No record of a missed call on phone. So despite being in full service (SWMBO has just tested and rang from hers), there was enough of a service glitch to miss the call.

Wouldn't have happened with a landline :(

(And in another post in this very group I cautioned about relying on WiFi ... :) )

Oh well.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What network? We have a thing on ID Mobile (Three network) where it's as if voicemail diverts have been enabled so the phone doesn't ring. It seems to go for days at a time like that, and then randomly clears up :(

I think it would. In some cases, if your pair becomes disconnected (eg intermittent connection due to wire blowing in the wind) the caller gets a ringing tone but nobody answers. If you have 1571 on your line it would get diverted to exchange-side voicemail.

The main difference is that mobile networks don't seem to have fault departments you can talk to - the call centre just assumes it's a problem with your phone.

Hmm, I suppose I should check if wifi calling is being weird...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

This is on GiffGaff- so O2.

I have noticed this behaviour before - when WFH. I'd have a call booked, my phone was on my desk - all bars up (we're about 100m from a base station on top of a building in my line of sight). No ring, then "bing" - and a voicemail. When I called back the caller said it went straight to voicemail.

I actually got a brief to dig into it after it happened to my boss (a director). That was also on O2. Given we had over 100 company supplied mobile users, there were quite a few matching reports. Sadly nothing came of it ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yup, it has happened to me too (on Vodafone)

Reply to
nothanks

One problem I find on land line is that the devices and services that screen out nuisance calls normally as the caller to state their name and then hear a message while the phone asks you if you want the call, but many places like nhs and council live on a different planet and despite withholding their numbers expect to get straight through and don't even leave a message. On many mobiles you can block numbers with no caller id or block calls that are not from numbers in your contacts list. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Theo used his keyboard to write :

Landline phones are checked daily to enure they are working properly, ours is tested between 9 and 12pm. Mobile cells are likewise checked and issues flagged back to base, what cells cannot do effectively, is check your end of the link, your mobile phone. Access can drop out and return unnototiced.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Jethro_uk submitted this idea :

Of course ir could, landlines fail too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

They also can't check network-side problems. For example I had a problem where someone abroad couldn't text me - all their texts went into a black hole. Apparently this was a common problem with some originating countries. There was nobody I could contact at Three to report a fault. I could have called the call centre but they would be all 'have you tried reinstalling Windows?' at me.

Theo

Reply to
Theo