electricity prices

I'm curious about the cost of electricity in various areas. Last month, I paid $88.06 total (includes all taxes, fees, etc.) for 641kwh in Birmingham AL. What do you folks pay and in what general area?

Reply to
CRNG

Per CRNG:

Philadelphia PA area: 18.2 cents/KwHr (including taxes and surcharges)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

You paid .137 I pay .175 here in CT so my bill for that use would be $112.17 Rare that I pay less than $125 a month.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The OP can find all the rates here:

I'm glad I don't pay Hawaii rates. That use would be $246.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

8 cents/KWh up here in Calgary AB 5 year fixed. I am on 2nd year. We use about 1000KW/h/month average. Our cost is on the high side. BC, Quebec, Manitoba have lot lower rate.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I paid 0.1148 per KWH last month In SW Fl

Reply to
gfretwell

Per Tony Hwang:

Hydro, right?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Yes, those 3 provinces have plenty hydro. Not many hydro plants here. Coal and NG burning plants. We have known 500 year reserve for coal deposit under us, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The reason why those rates are so high is because you guys are burning fossil fuels to generate that electricity, and it's the cost of that fuel that requires a high electric rate.

Here in Manitoba, we have more hydroelectric potential than you can shake a stick at. "Hydro electric power" is electricity generated by water, which generally means something like the dam at Boulder, Colorado (but on a much smaller scale) where a river is dammed to create a lake, and the accumulated water goes through turbines to produce electricity. In that case, once the dam is built, there is very little input cost to produce electricity.

Most of Manitoba's hydro electric potential is undeveloped, but the most opportune sites already have electric generating stations on them, and more are planned as electric rates go up in the US and other parts of Canada. If and when electric cars become common, and demand for electricity peaks at night when all of those electric cars are charging, Manitoba will be the next Saudi Arabia of the world.

Right now I'm paying 6.83 cents per kilowatt hour, and that rate hasn't changed in years. And, that's mostly because Manitoba Hydro is a publically owned utility that makes a fat profit off the electricity they sell to the USA and other parts of Canada like Ontario and Saskatchewan.

Reply to
nestork

Central Florida. Total $85.85 for 612 KWH.

It is $0.07263 for energy, $0.0407 for fuel adjustment per KWH for the first 1000KWH. Plus $8.00+- in tax.

Reply to
dadiOH

Power costs 8.551 cents per kW/h plus a $14 base rate here in ETN. Not nearly so bad as some places I've lived.

Reply to
BenignBodger

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:09:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

Nice resource. Thanks. However, I'll a little skeptical about how the numbers are calculated. For example, where I am in Alabama, the "rate" is $0.114/kwh but they also tack on various taxes, fees, assessments, etc which brings the effective rate of my bill up to $0.137/kwh. I'm guessing that the above EIA table does not include the add ons. I'm interested in the total costs of the electricity.

Reply to
CRNG

And Ontario is significantly higher. We have time of use now, and it is$.075 off peak, $0.112 mid peak. and $0.135 on peak, plus delivery, regulatory charges, debt retirement chareges and taxes.

Total consumption of 1614kWh over 2 months cost 256.75 for a cost of $0 .159 per kWh

Reply to
clare

and some places have different priced "tiers" - use more, pay a higher rate.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Up here in Ontario we are paying for the diss-aasembly of Ontario Hydro, the ridiculous bonuses paid to outgoing CEOs, privatization, and huge cost over-runs on rebuilding our nuke plants as well as a few political screw-ups that cost the provincial utility billions.

Not to mention the attempt to get rid of ALL coal fired generation.

Reply to
clare

That's my thought too. Think we pay maybe $5/mo here in DE for Bloom Engineering to build municipal fuel cells, which are less efficient than turbines or competitors cells, but that's crony capitalism. Couple of years ago money was stolen from taxpayers' electric bills to put in offshore windmills that never happened.

Reply to
Frank

Obama is saving us from those nasty coal burners by tightening up emission specs that result in shut down of the coal generators.

Reply to
Frank

You must not have any environmentalists up there. It would be easier to get a permit for a nuke plant than to dam a river here in the US.

Transmission costs and the permitting for new power lines will limit the market for your power but if it is cheap enough it might bring the customers to you. Unfortunately, nearest to you is north Dakota and they may be the Saudi of Nat Gas.

"Why not Minot"? "Freezn's the reason"

Reply to
gfretwell

Here's my bill for last month. 502kwh. Morton Grove, IL Can't make heads or tail of it.

9/13/14 015211564 General Service Total kWh 38748 Actual 39250 Actual 502 x 1 502 CHARGE DETAILS Retail Delivery Service - Res Single 8/13/14 - 9/13/14 (31 Days) SUPPLY - First Energy Solutions $39.36 502 KWH TOTAL@$0.0784/KWH GENERA 502 kWh X 0.07840 $39.36 DELIVERY - ComEd $32.01 Customer Charge $15.77 Standard Metering Charge $3.41 Distribution Facilities Charge 502 kWh X 0.02439 $12.24 IL Electricity Distribution Charge 502 kWh X 0.00118 $0.59 TAXES & FEES $6.86 Environmental Cost Recovery Adj 502 kWh X 0.00017 $0.09 Energy Efficiency Programs 502 kWh X 0.00223 $1.12 Franchise Cost $31.44 X 2.65900% $0.84 State Tax $1.66 Municipal Tax $3.15 Service Period Total $78.23 Thank you for your payment of $78.41 on September 8, 2014 Total Amount Due $78.23
Reply to
Vic Smith

We were talking about bottom line (Dollars on the bill/KWH)

The site is pretty close to what I am actually paying. SW Florida may be a little cheaper because we burn trash for some of our power.

Reply to
gfretwell