OT: On-line Driving Licence Renewal

It's been trialled for a while ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What ? Cut up and return your old license. What nonsense is this ? I presum e you should use registered post in case it got lost and at the DVLA end th ey would have to have someone checking the cut up licenses against their re cords to see if you were a good boy. Load of bollix as two seconds thought would illustrate.

Reply to
fred

i was rather surprised when i got to that bit.

It feels like someone late in the process pointed out to the IT team what the law actually was about people holding two licenses.

Reply to
Malcolm G

Probably related to the EU requirement that requires each member state to ensure a driver has only one European driver's license.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or even two licences.

Or even one European driving licence.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As a precaution i would make a photocopy (or scan) of any important document before putting it in the post to anyone, more so a valid driving licence to the DVLA but it seems you won't have to send it until it has expired.

Common claim by dodgy car dealers/owners of yesteryear....it's in the post officer.

Ash Burton

AIUI, the new licence will start on the date of issue - which can be up to 3 months before the old one expires, and will expire 3 years after the expiry of the old one. So they could overlap for up to 3 months - and DVLA doesn't like this for some reason.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've no idea whether they enforce it - hence the original question - but there's a box to tick to confirm you will do it. They pretty certainly won't accept the application if you don't tick the box.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed - only Mercans have licenses - 'cos they're pig ignorant!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sorry, I work in the computer industry, where it's now always spelt in American, just like Font, Disk, Program, etc.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yup - done that twice now...

Oops - must have slipped my mind both times - maybe they should send me a stamped addressed envelope if they want the shreds so much.

Reply to
Geo

Font?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fount

Reply to
The Other Mike

Someone just addressed me as the 'fountain of all knowledge' this afternoon.

Messy.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Ash Burton writes

No use for resolving an entitlement dispute with DVLA though. A certified copy of high resolution scan might work better.

Reply to
fred

You 'Orrible Shower!

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Just be grateful they didn't chuck a bottle of bubble bath down your gullet

Reply to
The Other Mike

Whatever was meant by that, it is good to see the point being discussed in the thread: "OT; Is it taxed?".

Reply to
Davey