OT Now there is a customer who knows how to ask an intelligent question.

Just finished off an extenstion and the customer then asked

"Would you like a crate of Bud or Fosters?" as he was handing out the tips to the workers.

The guy certainly knew how to get the best out of the workers. He said what he wanted doing up front but did make a few alterations (or his wife did) as the job progressed. He supplied tea at reasonable times and would quite happily do a run to the chippy/sandwich shop at dinnertime. He probably spent £200 on food and beer but saved £300 on the alterations as no-one wanted to charge him extras.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It always astonishes me how many people think they have to adopt a them and us attitude. The secret of getting the best out of any worker is to treat them properly. I always introduce myself and ask them to use first name terms. Then I treat them just as I would any other visitor to my home. I have always found it paid handsomely over many years and lots of little extras have been done for no extra cost. Tea or coffee chocolate biscuits is particularly efficacious with BT engineers!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Going to school with one works out better ;-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

quite some years ago I arranged to have the electricity supply cut (by removal of the 'company fuse') so that I could replace the consumer unit. I asked the electricity board man when he might return - he was suitably vague, so I said if you reconnect me in a two hours' time, I can put the kettle on. He came back then.

Reply to
charles

I always took butties and did not expect the customer to go to the chip shop for me. I always took a flask of coffee and did not expect the customer make coffee for me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If I get people in for a short job I make tea or coffee as required.

For a longer job I enquire whether they would prefer me to leave them a spare kettle and tea, coffee etc. Also arrange a variety of biscuits which we never usually keep in the house.

Most bring their own lunch although it is quite a while since we had anyone in.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Offering a brew is minimum requirement for anyone who is not a social inadequate.

It's just good manners.

Indeed, keep the goodwill coming and the workers will respond in a positive manner.

Most do fetch or buy their own lunch. But when someone offers to buy it would be rude not to accept.

This guy really did get involved with the work, he knew every workers name (as Peter Crosland does) and wanted a good job doing with happy workers.

His attitude did not alter the quality of the work but it did alter the price of his work. Who else could invest £200 and turn it into £300 in 8 weeks?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'd agree with that. Our builder sorts himself out if he's here with his mate though, but if on his own then we'd certainly make one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

He'd probably have done better to provide healthy sustenance rather than junk food. Little wonder that there's so much obesity around.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

There is no junk food, only a junk diets.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You'd be pushed to argue that for a deep fried Mars bar.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Good for a quick surge of energy due to the partially dissolved sugars, with a bit of a tail of energy due to the fat content, which is all unsaturated nowadays, so not much damage to your cholesterol levels, either..

Frying it correctly doesn't damage the flavonoids in the chocolate much, either, so they still do some of the good things they normally do.

If you want stuff that's *really* not good for you, have a Chinese or Indian takeaway. Lots of fat, incredible amounts of salt, loads of fast acting carbohydrates...

Reply to
John Williamson

And illegal levels of colourings

ARWadsworth

Offers of biscuits have always been refused when BT (OR) engineers have visited me. Most are even in too much of a hurry to drink tea.

Reply to
Mark

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

Is that why they taste so good?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's an inverse relationship. The better it tastes,the worse it is for you. Well known fact.

Reply to
John Williamson

At least Tesco are doing their bit to help with this. Their traffic light system is great -

red = tasty

Think that's how it works anyway.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Good tip Darren - cheers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A bit like household cleaning products - they're rated for cleaning effectiveness in little yellow triangles. One triangle works, two triangles works with a pleasing fizz, three triangles dissolves burnt- on kryptonite.

And McDonalds are helpfully putting calorific values on their menus. That will make it much easier to work out which Happy Meal offers most calories for the money, which will be a boon to hard-working families on low incomes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain